It's good to be back!

I have not been well for some time and this has precluded me from doing any serious building. However yesterday I cleared the bench, sat down with a nice mug of builder's tea and spread out the plans. The cat joined me and laid down in her basket on the end of the bench.

Four hours later I had the first wing panel built and what a lovely feeling it was. I had forgotten about the theraputic effects of balsa bashing, even though lack of practice produced (to my eyes) an indifferent wing section.

I found myself thinking about the build all last evening, weighing up the methods involved and trying to forsee the problems ahead. It was a great intellectual exercise and I cannot wait to get back out there today.

Perhaps building models should be available on the National Health!

Pete.

The plane? Just a Playboy Senior but satisfying nevertheless.

Advert

Four hours to build a wing panel is quick work Pete - ​the knack hasn't been lost.smile
Building is indeed very therapeutic, I've just started building again after a few months
break - through apathy as much as anything in my case.
Hopefully you're on the road to recovery & the modelling is helping.smile

Good to have you back Pete.

Have to agree with you about the therapeutic effects of balsa bashing. After a few years of ARTF, going back to the basics of actually 'building' again made me realise what I have been missing ! A club mate has also just built the 'Playboy Senior' awaiting better weather for it's maiden flight, and I'm just putting the finishing touches to a Ben Buckle 'Great News', and we have loved every minute of it.

Best wishes Pete, and most of all have fun.

Second all the above. Like everyone, my family has had its share of troubles and tragedy over time and sadly, we're enduring an issue at the moment. I find working on models/building/ planning & what comes next, is as a focus on something pleasant rather than drifting into upset and worry - at least for a while.

Escaping to the flying field and chatting with friends is always nice and particularly when other matters are on your mind. I don't know about anyone else, but despite whatever worry is dragging you down, when you're flying a model perhaps through an aerobatic routine, you are totally focussed on that and for ten minutes, all else is pushed to the back of your mind and the relief is wonderful.

Glad that you are back at the building board.

Like others, I have found that modelling is the best tonic, medicine, tranquilliser, and solace available,

In a recent Amateur Photographer there was an article "Photography can Save Your Life"

OI didn't get that copy but I am sure that the same can be said about Aeromodelling.

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.

Just having a short break whilst some glue dries and also taking the time to order some spruce strip from SLEC, my favourite wood supplier. I had thought that I had enough in stock, but no, I need to order more.

That means that work on the wings has come to a juddering halt, but I have started the fuselage instead. After that comes the tail with its laminated wing tips, so I am sorting those out now, in advance of that part of the build.

This brings me to a question. I always like to have everything prepared in advance so that when I build an assembly everything is to hand and there are no hold ups. I hate having to cease constructing in order to say, laminate a wing tip. How do others go about their builds?

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 16/03/2018 12:01:01

Glad to hear it BP I must try it. For 2seasons I have been in the same position as Cuban8 ( sorry to here that ) but too worried even to fly as my brain was elsewhere. But I think I will try again perhaps with electric glider or my venerable Super Scorpion.Thanks folks I realise I am not the only one, and special thanks to Cuban 8 for his kind words.

NHS well kinda ?? well maybe ??

A member of our club went to his GP suffering from sleepless nights and other things which was put down to "stress".

The GP told him he needed a hobby and recommended Aeromodelling . He nodded and said very little, having been a founder member of our club many years before ..

It was the aeromodelling side that could have been responsible ! Because 40 years later he is still the same , possibly worse , but can now smile about it .

And me? I have just built a stick and glue model , why , because it was there ! do I need another plane , NO but building them is almost as much fun as flying them .

cheers