Great Planes U Can Do 3D 60

I’ve always liked the slightly retro look of this ARTF so when I needed a bit of retail therapy I went along to Sussex Model Centre and splashed the cash. My intention is to power it with a Laser 80 that I bought secondhand.

The vids I’ve seen of it flying look good apart from one where the tail plane parted company from the fuse but would like to hear of any first hand experience the learned collective may have.

Is that the 65” span red white and blue version?

I had one a few years back not long after they first came out, it was very floaty and turned out to be not really my sort of model, I had a saito 100 in it on an apc 15x4 wide I think, the tank position was very high as designed and I could never get it to run more than half a tank and was always a compromise of tune for Aeros, tried a Perry oscillating pump on it as was recommended on us forums at the time, still didn’t perform so sold the whole lot on.

Changed the supplied 2-56 pushrods for 3mm carbon ones as they are big surfaces

I reckon you’ll struggle with the low carb position of the Laser even the saito would symphon and that carb is a good inch higher

The undercarriage plate was apparently prone to pulling out but I didnt keep mine long enough to find out any structural problems

Several of us had the larger version of this model when they first came out. You need a BIG engine to make it perform. A .60 turns it into a gutless wallowy trainer! Think I ended up with a .91 2 stroke which was marginally better. Got shot of it in the end. Not a brilliant model IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m planning on using a hopper tank arrangement for the Laser to get over the carb position and already have a 2oz tank for that purpose! I’ve seen that others have gone for carbon pushrods and have those lined up too. My 2 other Great Planes ARTFs had weak U/C mountings so I beefed them up with alloy angle and plan to strengthen the UCD likewise, once again I’ve seen a couple of reports about this being a problem area.

I must admit that, once again, I’m generally impressed with the build quality of this model and am looking forward to the challenge!

The 80 will fly it fine but you’ll not get the advertised performance as in the GP video, the saito I had did not give sparkling performance either but then again I wasn’t using 30% nitro like they do in the US, it’s not built for speed either, think flutter! I wouldn’t prop the 80 as you would for a “normal” sports model so not the usual 14x7 think big diameter fine pitch and only full throttle on climb, level flight throttle back, it’s a very big wing so it won’t fall out the sky.