'Great News' !

Ronaldo

Advert

Posted by Basil on 31/08/2020 12:26:52:

The model is this thread, "Great news". that why I added it to the thread.I cant do photos.Wieght app 1 kg - batt.

Chord 11" span 72". Its a HiModel ESC. 60amp pro

Bas

Are you sure that your model only weighs about a kilogramme Basil? That's only 2.2lb. At that weight you have a wing loading of only 6 ozs per square foot which is extremely light. Peter Russell's book "Vintage Model Aeroplanes" lists fifteen different models in the appendix, the lightest one has a wing loading of 9.2 ozs per square foot.

David, sorry , you are correct, I made a mistake. It's just under 2kgs without batteries. Sorry about that.I have suffered a back injury and the constant pain makes even the most simple of things very difficult and your brain doesn't always function correctly.

I think the motor maybe shall we say quite old, as the original owner had not flown for a long while hence the disposition of his fleet.

Bas

Edited By Basil on 01/09/2020 09:52:05

Posted by Basil on 01/09/2020 13:39:54:

Hi again, does the increase in wieght, due to my mistake, make any difference to your motor reccomendations. Bas

No. If your model weighs 2 kgs thats 4 lbs 6 oz. Add the battery wieight and you'll be close to the 5lbs we were talking about yesterday. Personally I'd fit a bigger LiPo than a 2200 for longer flights.

Gentlemen, due to my lack of knowledge and experience (In reverse order), it appears, in a few words) that I have made a complete and utter balls of everything.

Some of it I put down to the not very clear instructions given by Hobby King, but mainly down to me. In short current readings are : 24amps, 10.3v, 230watt. That is correct mathmatically,(As near as damit) so the motor ESc combination is OK. Theses figures were obtained using a fresh battery.

The Lipo I was using (3s 22000 that was fully charged at the onset, wont charge any more as it appears that it is showing as a 2s. I think the malfunction(Now a knacked battery I believe) is due to the fact of connecting the small lead the wrong way round, reverse polarity!!!!, to the watt meter. There does not appear to be a fail safe way of making a connection.

Some tima ago I bought a HK charger, whose instructions where very unclear to some one with out prior knowledge, it allowed me to charge the LIpo without connecting the small correctly, resulting in a fire and destruction of the LIpo. I am happy to say that was the only damage(Accept my self confidence and pride)I complaind to HK about the unclear instructions, they reimburst the cost of the charger and told me I can keep it!!!!

The instructions in the HK-010 also allow mistakes to be made. I have learnt a great deal from this exorcise but I am sorry that I have misinformed fellow users.

I would like to hear wether other users of HK products found their instructions lets say lacking for first time users like me.

Thanks again BAS

Bas, I cannot comment on your particular charger but if the readings you have given are correct 24 amps, 10.3 volts and 230 watts and given that the model will weigh 5lbs including the battery, you will have 46watts per lb which should just about fly the model alright. At 4.5 lbs you will have 51 watts per lb. Please give the model to an experienced pilot for its initial flight.

The "small" you refer to is the balance plug which makes sure that each cell in the LiPo is charged more or less evenly, it should be used whenever you charge a LiPo. In my experience a new 3S LiPo will produce 12 volts or more when fully charged. Is yours an old battery?

David, no it did have a charge of 12.7v but I have been running it and observing various throttle settings etc. I was aware of the function of the balance plug, but to me the fact that an important item such as it would have been able to engage in only 1 position, whereas the plug can be engaged bothways round. This has resulted in the ruin of the LIpo, due to 1 cell being incapictated by incorrect polarity.

I  have only had 3 training flights so at this stage everthing is down to the tutor.

What is the reccomended watts/ib for an A/C of this type.

Barry

Edited By Basil on 03/09/2020 10:11:41

My wattmeters don't have a connection for the balance lead, what model is the wattmeter? The problem with a polarised connector on something like a wattmeter or the small voltage/capacity checkers is that they need to cope with multiple cell counts and the balance lead connector for eg 3, 4, 5 and 6 cell packs have the polarising keys in different positions. I am surprised it killed a cell without something glowing red!

As for HK instructions, I'm afraid that comment applies to pretty much anything made in the Far East. I find it best to search the internet for reviews or forum posts on the item in question as others will usually have experienced the same issues and a clearer explanation of correct usage will have been posted somewhere.

As David has said, readings taken with a low battery don't mean much. If it shows 10v giving 230W after a charge then the battery is not man enough for the job or it's well past it's best.

I'd look to get around 70-80 w/lb, 350-400W.  You won't be on full throttle for much of the flight so your 2200 pack should be ok.  I'd be trying to squeeze a larger pack in for a bit of elbow room, maybe up to 3000mAh if it fits, but that's just meface 1.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/09/2020 11:53:10

At this stage I just need to get some air time. If its man enough to use as an initail trainer thats OK. It could be upgraded if not. Otherwise if Ok then it could be upgraded for the future .Trying to keep initial outlay at a reasonable level. Just paid £150 to electrify another trainer of a slightly racer nature, but that for the future.

thank you once again

Bas

Just did a new run on the motor in Great news with a fully charged 2200ah, 3c Lipo.. Shows 12.46 @ 0.0amp. At about 1/2 throttle the watt meter shows 11.85v, 70 watts, 5.9am.

from whats been said by my fellow members it shoiuld be OK to fly. I will take it to the patch when able and ask some one to try it

One other thing while on the subject of power. To what level , in flight, would you run a Lipo down to?

Many thanks Bas

Edited By Basil on 04/09/2020 14:03:28

• 1 month later...