PU Glue removal

Ace

I love PU glue and am normally very careful not to get any on my hands.

You know whats coming next - yes my latex glove sprung a leak and now I have some on my palm crying

Tried thinners, nail varnish remover & Isopropanol with no result - So what will shift it please ????

Advert

Gorilla recommend soap, hand cream (moisturiser) and time.

They specifically say not to use strong chemicals such as acetone or thinners, but that is probably safety driven advice.

I have had limited success with acetone if it hasn't set, but mainly as TWS says, time

Thanks both, but the black grubby mark the diameter of a golfball is refusing to budge. sad

I guess the grease from the skin will eventually lift it but would dearly love a faster solution.

Thanks David, I thought the dark grubbyness was due to it attracting muck, however looking around there is some evidence of iron darkening PU type glues - you live an learn.

Resorted to using one of the foam emery sponges which shifted some - but not all. Guess I will just have to let nature run its course for the remainder.

Thank you for continuing my education. Are the metal ions getting bonded in, or is some form of chelate forming? An alternative metal source is sodium from salt in sweat.. but most sodium compounds are white, but odd things happen in organic chemistry.

Ace, David Mellor is a hard man. If you use very fine wet and dry paper, and some right greasy hand cream, or olive oil, as the wet element, you can reduce the time lag for a second coat of PU to a week.

Edit, But as an alternative thought process, for that week you might get away with a burglary. No fingerprint. 

Edited By Don Fry on 08/05/2018 16:06:01