Electric motor not running with prop attached

Setting up a drive train last night and came across an issue that is new to me.
ESC starts and runs the motor fine without the prop on. When the prop is fitted it runs for a few seconds on low throttle and then chatters and stops.
My guess is a dodgy connection between ESC and motor. But why would it run well without the prop?

Edited By FilmBuff on 22/05/2018 08:52:02

Advert

It is likely to be a dodgy connection between ESC and motor, but the increased load with a prop on will lead to a greater current draw and if the connection is high resistance then this will prevent the ESC from reading back the EMF from the motor, leading to the exact symptoms you report.

I bet if you check and re-make the connections (assuming you are using gold bullet connectors) you will fix it!

So...
My soldering skills were not the issue.
The Castle Creation ESC was not able to start the motor with the prop and had no programmable options to change timing or soft start parameters.
Swapped out for a JR enrg one. Ran faultlessly with a soft start and powerful brake.
Irritating to have to do loads of soldering and whipping the motor in and out. But got there😀