Fokkerc 1/5 Spitfire XIV build

Hi people, I came across this kit in 2017 and became really excited with the idea of building a much larger model than I’ve attmpted before of one of, if not, my favourite warbird.

There are 2 or 3 great photo lots of builds by various builders of this kit that was designed by a guy called Rumen Chekarov (who is) Fokkerc.

**LINK**

I’m just starting out and would hugely appreciate anyone who has bought and experienced building this kit.

Advert

Nick this looks a great model but if you are “just starting out”(?) then I’m afraid it is totally unsuitable for you.

You would not be able to fly it....It is a common misconception in this hobby that you can build and fly a scale model straight away. This is not possible: an analogy would be for a completely novice full size pilot to have a first solo flight in a Spitfire or even a large Boeing jetliner.

Of course you can still build the model and have an experienced rc pilot check it over & fly it for you...but you would not even be able to fly it on a buddy lead with that person if you are a beginner.

So join a club and get some training from their instructors on a basic high wing trainer, work your way up to a low wing aerobatic model then consider having someone help you with flying a Spitfire. It’s what I did and it took nearly 12 years....

Jon

1/5 scale is something of the order of 86" wingspan for a Spit, so a large, heavy and expensive model to complete (the kit price is just the very start, to say nothing of the build time and tools needed) and as has been said, way beyond what is practical to be starting out on - in fact many modellers with a lifetime of building and flying would think twice about taking on such a major project.

The good news is that you don't have to embark on anything so ambitious as a beginner to get a lot of fun and satisfaction from the hobby. Learn to fly and become proficient on a trainer and then investigate one of the smaller warbirds that are around today - some very nice ARTFs are available and will give you a far better chance of success, or choose a smaller kit or plan to develop your building experience. By all means move on to the world of the bigger stuff in the fullness of time.

Good luckyes

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/06/2018 09:05:21

Im interested in this model myself as it really looks the part and the last two spitfires of this size that i have flown were superb.

While i echo the comments of the other guys regarding its suitability for an inexperienced pilot i read your post as you were just getting started with the model, not the hobby? a clarification might be in order!

Cheers chaps thanks for helping on this thread . Nick is a member of my club and I suggested him posting this thread for build tips as I haven’t seen this model . As far as flying goes don’t worry as we have a number of members who are experienced Warbird pilots and will be able to help. As you mentioned the build is going to be quite complex and certainly not a first build but Nicks engineering background will help. I understand he will be doing it in the background whilst flying other models. Nick is coming back to the hobby after a number of years out but has already impressed us and is flying his smaller scale IC Tucano solo very well. Obviously we hear the line a lot from new members that “I want to fly a Spitfire” however Nick is a good builder and he wants to build a Spitfire and certainly doesn’t expect to go out flying it for some time.

Cheers Jon 😊 Thanks for comments. Yes I think the full build and flying is quite a mountain to climb on such a big model. My Warbird Replicas LA7 took me 6months of “the odd hour here and there” and this plane is far bigger. I got my Seagull 80in ARTF Hurricane for my Laser 180 on Monday and will be looking forward to getting that done by the Autumn.

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 12/06/2018 10:12:35:

I got my Seagull 80in ARTF Hurricane for my Laser 180 on Monday and will be looking forward to getting that done by the Autumn.

The autumn?! its June and the Luftwaffe are all over us! Dont just stand there get one up!

Posted by Jon Laughton on 12/06/2018 09:48:32:

And a new laser four stroke would be the perfect engine for this model eh Jon? wink 2

There are some options indeed. If Nick is interested i will gladly advise him but in the interest of not treading on toes i need to be careful volunteering information like that as powerplants were not part of the question asked in the OP. Its not a problem, i just have to play fair with RCME as the forum is their platform.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 12/06/2018 10:26:09

Regarding the engine I don’t think Nick has decided yet . I mentioned that it will need quite a bit of power as it’s going to be heavy and big. A laser180 like I’m going to put in my Hurricane might work and I mentioned that last week to Nick, but my Hurricane is going to be around 16lbs and this model will be much heavier I think? Weight will be one of the big factors with this build.

Hi Jon, Jon, Cuban and thanks Tim for interjecting and supplying the context,

Tim is right in that my background is somewhat linked with engineering and I'm fortunate that my day job as a Design Technician gives me room to spread out, especially in the next few months, and free reign to hop on any of the machinery/tools that I use day to day anyway (laser cutter, cnc router, 3D printers, bandsaw, dremel, metal lathe, belt/bobbin sanders etc etc). I may not have this opportunity to take on a project like this again so I want to capitalise.

That being said, I've never taken on a build of this size and complexity and am fully aware that I could mistakenly Forget to thread the wing location bolt holes on the fuselage....... If the guys at the club kindly check it over and deem it unsafe or unflyable I'd be disappointed obviously but so be it. I think it's within my scope though.

The cost is being spread over the length of the build so for the foreseeable future it's mainly spuce, balsa, bits of poplar and birch ply and few bits of hardware every now and again.

When the time is right, Jon, I'd love to discuss engines with you. My plan is to get the airframe well underway and in good shape before going there though.

I'll be keeping a photo log myself of the build if of interest to anyone else.

So far in prepping for the build the trickiest challenge has been to solve the tail wheel situation - retract, fixed-steerable, degree of scale accuracy, functional vs scale vs cost type thing. Looks like I'll be going with a fixed-steerable design I tailor myself unless I risk buying the HobbyKing pneumatic set which has got very mixed reviews.

Edited By Nick Stock 2 on 13/06/2018 19:21:57

• 2 years later...