CS Discus 2.65m Glider Tow Project

Hi all . I very much enjoyed last Saturday at wings and wheels. I also came back with a lovely CS Discus glider that I have bought to tow up with my Wot 4XL . I have wanted a glider for some time but haven’t had time to build the WestWings balsa one I have . This one cost me just £80 and was receiver ready. All I have needed to do is add a tow release servo and release guide tube in the front. That has necessitated moving the battery rearwards to make room. I have swapped the battery for a lighter LIFE 1000mah 2s pack and will add lead shot in the front around the tow tube to balance it. I’m certainly very happy so far and one of my club mates has volunteered as co pilot ! Here is a picture ( the other wing is in the garage!). Any tips etc welcome! 8d1175fa-52fc-4dbf-bab7-81c60bc3aaa6.jpeg

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 26/06/2018 13:46:18

Advert

Cheers Andy that’s a good idea. I’m quite excited to get this project started as I put the tow release on my Wot a while ago but the other gliders at my club are electric so didn’t have the chance to use it😊. Either that or they hid their non electric gliders away because they were worried about my dodgy flying 😉

A few tips (I was an aerotow newbie a few years ago with a 3m Pilatus), make sure you have a very reliable tow release, the Multiplex ones in the nose are very simple and reliable, but you can easily make something similar just under the nose (several gliders which have a motor in the nose do this), don't use the glider rudder on the tow just use the ailerons to keep the wings level, if it starts to go wrong just hit the release.

One issue with these smaller modern gliders with the narrow chord wings is a tendency to drop a wing on take off and if a wing digs in then it's usually quite serious with these, a take off dolly which keeps the glider level until it's got good speed is quite useful.

There's some good advise on www.scalesoaring.co.uk including Chris Williams top 10 tips https://scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/HintsTips/Articles/10-AerotowTips/10-AerotowTips.html