How to find/calculate the pitch of a propeller

Keith Sharples

Hi All.

Plane:- Hobby King Walrus.

Problem, Today mid flight as I had the motor running to gain height to find thermals (flat field). One half of the folding propeller broke off, instantly killed the motor and landed. The ensuing vibration for those few seconds has loosened the motor mount but thats not the problem I can sort that. The problem is a new propeller, I have checked the HK site and it is not listed neither is it in the plane manual. So I thought get another of the same size and pitch BUT the old one does not have any writing on it at all!! The size is 9ins but the pitch ??????? Does anyone know how to find/calculate the pitch from the half that is still attached to the centre assembly. Then I can find an alternative replacement. I know I will have to adapt the motor shaft etc again not a problem.

Hope someone can help, Thanks

Advert

The HK website lists spare prop assemblies for the Walrus from the Europe warehouse for about £6.50. The model has a 1350 kv motor and 20 amp ESC, so you don't want a prop with too much pitch. Typically, a prop's pitch is about 60% of the diameter, which means you should be thinking of something in the range of 9x4.5 to 9x6.

Hi Trevor

Thanks for the suggested prop range just what I wanted. I have looked again on the HK web site specifically choosing the EU warehouse (I'm in the UK). I did a specific search with nothing and then listed all propellers and scrolled through 23 pages again nothing, probably I'm doing something wrong!

What I think I will do is get one of each of the suggest sizes with adapt it and try it which ever works best order some more. After all the original looks as rare as rocking horse poo.

Again thanks for the help Trevor

Edited By Keith Sharples on 26/07/2018 20:52:06