Phoenix 2000. Which electric motor?

I've had a Phoenix 2000 ARTF glider for several years but I've never even started to assemble it. It's the glider version rather than the electric powered version but I intend to convert to electric power.

On the box lid the recommended motor is a "4010/850kv." They recommend an ESC of 30 Amps and a 1500 mAh 3S LiPo but this is for the standard set-up with the small propeller. If I go with this set-up, which motor would you recommend?

Would you recommend a different set up with this model? If so what?

Advert

I use a HobbyKing NTM Propdrive 2836 1000Kv with a 10x6 propeller and 3S 2200 lipos. About 18.5A and 212W. Performance isn't earth-shattering but perfectly adequate. I've thought about fitting a bigger prop to up the power a bit but never got around to it. The 2200 lipo is probably a bit heavy and has to be mounted way back, right off the end of the battery tray so a 1500 would be better I think. I like my Phoenix, I fly it off the club field and sometimes take it slope soaring and it performs remarkably well either way for something so inexpensive.

I fitted a Turnigy Gliderdrive 960kv motor in mine. It fits very neatly and has the connections right at the back of the motor which makes fitting in a narrow nose a lot easier. I fitted a 12x6 prop which only draws 22 amps on 3S LiPos but it would easily accept a 13x6 without over stressing anything if you needed more power. I've never run out a 3S 2200 battery but I usually only climb to 150/200 metres (I have altimeter telemetry) and then glide.

Geoff

I cannot help you with the correct motor as my Phoenix is the 1600 version but I can tell you it's important to buy a motor that has the shaft coming out the correct end! I had to buy a second motor as the first had the shaft the wrong end.

A tip that may work for you too is that fitting the motor screws in is very difficult.......but if you get 2 long threaded rods of the correct thread ( threaded control rods were right thread for my motor) you can insert them through the nose and then into the motor in the hatch area and pull the motor into place. The put in the 2 ordinary screws and remove the threaded rods replacing them with screws of course.