What lube for electric motor bearings

Kim Taylor

Hi all

I recently replaced the bearings in the E-Max motor fitted to my Wot 4 after a bit of a whoopsy caused the bearings to go noisy.

Long story short, the new bearings were growling from the start, obviously either out of spec balls (ooer missus!!) or more likely never lubed during manufacture.

The bearings are 8 x 14 x 4 stainless radial ball bearings with 2 shields, purchased from Modelbearings.co.uk (not complaining - at £1.50 a pop, these things aren't going to be 100% reliable).

I've got some more bearings to go in, but want to make sure that they're lubed properly before I fit them and wonder what would be the right thing to do

Either - pick out one of the shields, flush out any oil / grease that;s in there and re lube with what??

Or - dunk the bearings in some EP gear oil or similar and let it permeate in past the shields overnight before fitting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 18/09/2018 21:15:34

Advert

You can pop out a shield and check for lube, I do so on model offroad cars and replace the grease with a waterproof one, but that is a much harsher environment than an outrunner. I would not use oil, as it will fling out and you would need to re lube them often.

Unless you need the anti corrosive properties, I wouldn't use stainless bearings, they wear faster.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this.

Richard - my mistake, they're chrome steel, not stainless as I originally said. I blame senilitysmiley

I just wondered whether grease was the thing to use, with the speeds this will do (470kV on a 6s) or whether an EP type oil would be better (would need to be oiled each session or two though)

I've got various greases / oils in my garage that I can try - wouldn't cost much to try a few out and see (hear) which gives the best result.

Kim