Flitetest Kits

Dave Hess

I haven't seen much about Flitetest kits on this forum. This isn't meant to be a review, but just to pass on my experience so far. Basically, they use low-cost materials in their construction, mainly foam board, but the results can still be fantastic looking planes that seem to fly very well, whilst being a lot more robust than conventionally built planes. What I saw on their forum and in their videos intrigued me, so I decided to check them out.

I bought two of their speed-build kits along with their power-packs. They cost £184 inc shipping, then I had to pay £53 duty etc., so about £120 per plane. Everything is included except receiver, wheels and finishing. There are UK and European agents. It seems to be about 12% to 15% dearer buying from them.

This is what I got. The power-pack was comprehensive and included servos, esc, motor, propellers, servo extension lead and a rather nice pair of drivers. One was a hex key for the motor and the other a normal Phillips:

20180918_185549.jpg

The kit comprised laser cut foam boards, some laser cut plywood parts, wire for landing gear and push-rods, plus some popsicle sticks and barbecue skewers and a couple of battery straps.

20180918_190405 (1).jpg

Like all new building techniques, it probably takes a couple of planes or so before you become proficient, though mine seems to be coming out OK. I made a couple of minor mistakes because i didn't follow the instructions. There is no instruction sheet/manual with the kits, Instead, they have a step by step build recorded on Youtube for each kit. Here's where I got to after about 3 hours. Everything is glued with hot-melt glue. That fuselage feels extremely strong and rigid, and it weighs very little. Sorry about it being horiz instead of vertical, but it seems that the photo album thing always changes the photo to landscape:

20180922_190048.jpg

Note the essential tablet to watch the build instruction video. This is what it's supposed to look and fly like when finished:

Edited By Dave Hess on 24/09/2018 14:58:23

Between my Brother, dad and myself we have built a lot of these, Spitfire, Mustang, Storch, Racer which I added mini retracts to and a few others. Didn't buy the kits, just cut them from the plans and used hobbyking park 450 motors and tg9e servos. Great designs, had a lot of fun with them and cost very little if done like this. Love the site and the whole ethos of it.

It's the fact that they're some sort of charity/educational establishment that intrigues me the most. they seem to be doing an amazing job of getting new people into the hobby and they20180922_190048.jpg themselves seem to be growing at a massive rate too. We could do with something like that over here. if I won the lottery, that's what I'd do with the money.

I lost a photo from my first post. here it is:

Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 24/09/2018 20:14:50:

Between my Brother, dad and myself we have built a lot of these, Spitfire, Mustang, Storch, Racer which I added mini retracts to and a few others. Didn't buy the kits, just cut them from the plans and used hobbyking park 450 motors and tg9e servos. Great designs, had a lot of fun with them and cost very little if done like this. Love the site and the whole ethos of it.

What foam board did you use?

Geoff

My FT Edge flies very well but the motor mount is a weak spot and needs to be stiffened up, I made a triangular gusset out of foam board which I glued to the firewall between the bottom of the motor box and the cowl, I also reinforced the firewall as after a few flights it too was flexing. I have also built the FT Dart which has taken alot of abuse and is still intact although looks a little sad now, i would agree that they are much more capable of taking hard knocks then traditional Balsa or even foam models but they don't fly as precise as either but as the foamboard costs so little mine do get flown a lot harder.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 25/09/2018 00:33:15:
Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 24/09/2018 20:14:50:

What foam board did you use?

Geoff

You can buy the Flitetest foam board for £2.99 a sheet on Ebay:

**LINK**