The Accidental Lightning Pilot

paul devereux

Advert

It an amazing story! He had only previous flying experience in a Harvard, and suddenly finds himself flying a Lightning on re-heat!

After a few exciting seconds on the ground,narrowly missing a fuel bowser and a Canberra, and running out of runway, he has to take off and learn to fly a fast jet!

Then he returned to work! Amazing guy!

Seems like that wigging was rather a formality and a friendly chat with the boss once the official business had been quickly concluded.

"I stood in front of Air Marshal Sir Kenneth Porter, he read the proceedings, asked me if I agreed with his view that “With the limited flying experience that I had, the test would have been better left to an experienced and current Lightning test pilot.” I agreed of course. He then told me to remove my hat, sit down and proceeded to tell me some of his unfortunate flying incidents in Mesopotamia in the Middle East."

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/10/2018 16:53:08

The link I give in the first post will take you to his own testimony ( I don't know how to create a hyperlink here).

Or you can just Google Taffy Holden.Wing Commander.

I incorrectly said he missed a Canberra, it was a Comet.

He joined the RAF, gained wings, having learnt to fly on biplanes, Chipmunks, and finally on Harvards.

He decided he wanted an engineering career and at the time of the incident was investigating an electrical fault on the EE Lightning. He had given up flying.

He was allowed short ground runs to diagnose why this particular plane shut down an electrical circuit on take off runs. (it turned out that the acceleration allowed loose wires to short circuit).

On the third run, he inadvertently pushed the throttle to reheat, which made take off inevitable.

It was pure chance that a colleague told him how to turn off re-heat as it was not part of their duties- they were not jet pilots.

During his twelve minute career as a fast jet pilot, he says he faced imminent death at least five times- twice on the ground as a bowser and Comet trundled before him, and three times as he tried to land.

He landed as trail dragger, as that was his experience, so accidently destroyed the drogue chute, and was lucky not to over-run the runway!

He returned to work immediately,and had a successful career, but later in life had two short psychiatric admissions for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as he became distressed about fast jets.

A Legend!

This link is a blog by Taffy Holden's grandson, I think the story in link in the OP was copied from this blog. But the blog also contains a Youtube video of Taffy during a visit with his family to Duxford to see Lightning XM135 in 2013 about 3 years before he passed away.

IMO this Youtube video is well worth watching.

Edited By PatMc on 03/10/2018 23:22:05