information for plans

Nek

Hi

Never used a forum before so here we go

I’m sure that few years back I was watching a programme on Sky TV called super model about the design and construction of a large RC warship in one of the early episodes the plan (scaled drawing) was being developed from photos of the original ship at sea. I believe that they were saying that if an element was half way down the ship in the photo that was equal to 1/3 along the ship on the elevation plan?

My question is does any one out there know how to take information from photographs and convert back into dimension or lengths that can be used to draw elevations and plans.

I hope to use this technique to design and build old obscure planes.

Is there software that will allow me to plot points on a perspective photo and convert them to plan and elevation views?

Alan
Ballarat, Australia

Advert

Very interesting !Alan .Hope I can help
Firstly I must explain I m an old time RR trained draughtsman/engineer .(& photography fanatic) Several things come straight to mind !
So there are several criteria to be established. Bear with me.
1. on your photos, do what you think what are straight lines appear to be straight lines?(i'm trying to rule out wide angle & fish eye lenses!)
2.Have you the actual dimns of the bit nearest you & the bit furthest away?
3.Plot a graph of what you know is correct against what the photo tells you (obviously the more known the merrier) You will now have a type of curve to convert from perceived to real measurement .Assuming all your photos are taken with the same camera settings you'll be able to work out and draw up your real plan or elevation .There is obviously plenty of room for errors & I am only just touching on the subject Please let me know how you get on (Memories of drawing the atomium in Brussels at any angle chosen by the chief !)Myron in Newcastle England.
Can,t help with software it's taken ages to do this reply on a confuser!

I like the idea so here are my thoughts.

If you have a perspective photo I think you will have problems, with perspective and dimentions, so try and use side on photos.

Maybe better than photos are 3 view drawings.

You might try looking at scale rescources for photos and 3 views.

Now as to software, I recently recieved an email advertising a piece of software called DevCad (http://www.devcad.com/eng/) this is a full cad program, but it allows you to import a graphic and trace over it to produce a real drawing.
Now you will have to 'build' the model with spars / struts / formers / ribs ect, no software will do that. The cost is about 25 Euros.

The advert came from registering a great piece of software called IsiPlot (www.profili2.com) which I use a lot. It lets you print plans (on a std A4 printer) at any size. Brillaint when building from plans as you can scan / size to what ever you want (reasonably) and print copies to cut out and build from.

Both programs are available for free download to test and tell Steffano I sent you.

Andy

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...