Seagull sea eagle

ARC

Has anyone out there built and flown one of these. Running electric on mine with a 3748 v3 thumper 4s 5000mah and 60amp esc. 12x8 props giving 810w at 60amps which is overkill on a 5lb model. It flies lovely and smooth. Anyone elese got one

Edited By ARC on 11/10/2018 22:55:15

Edited By ARC on 11/10/2018 22:56:03

Yes, I replaced my trusty old H9 Aresti 40 with a Sea Eagle a few years ago. I fly my one IC with an ASP 61 four stroke, not massively powered but more than adequate and is able to cope with all but the very windiest days. Fits in my Mondeo Estate fully rigged so another plus.

Important......the CG position given in the Seagull manual is way off. For a change it's too far forward. Fly it with that CG and the model will be dead on the elevator, generally soggy, and will not be easily slowed up for landing. Shift it back by 10mm initially and see how she goes, and then possibly another 5mm to suit your taste. Despite the sharply tapered wings there's no tip stall unless you are really heavy on the elevator. Beware tight loops at low level, as if you overcook it a bit on the low side, the model will flick out and ruin your day. Don't set it up with excessive elevator movement in the first place.

I really like it, one of my all time favourite sport models.

My dear grandson Eddie with said model taken a few years back.

20161229_115056_resized_4.jpg

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/10/2018 09:21:55

Hi cuban8, the cofg makes sense now was balancing mine at about 96/97mm and needed 20gms of lead upfront. Was massivley nose heavy with about 6 clicks of up to get level flight. Moving c of g back 10mm will loose the nose weight and make my loops nicer hopefully

Edited By ARC on 12/10/2018 09:43:29

I came across a copy of April 2014's 'Quiet and Electric Flight International' which has a review of the Sea Eagle, and they put the CG back by 20mm, which I think is about as far as you'd want to go. Depends how lively you want it .

BTW, the pilot figure that came with the model weighed a ton and now makes a wonderful workshop doorstoplaugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/10/2018 11:11:07

I must have been unlucky ! Mine was/is electric powered . On the maiden it took off like stink and as I tried a circuit and reduced power it just descended like a lift down a shaft !!😤So I kept it going and headed back to the strip but managed to descend into bushes which totalled one wing ! I'm still waiting for a club mate to prepare spars for it ! Colin

Hmm ... Christmas is coming, the LMS has one in stock; is it really an F3A type of plane? There might be a spare 61 somewhere, but C8 if yours is not massively overpowered on an ASP 61, might a Saito 72 actually suit it better?

Usual Seagull C of G ambiguity then!

Or, I've several 5A 4S LiPos for a Watt 4 and I probably have that motor from yours, ARC. 3D, or not 3D, that is the question!

BTC

Bruce,

I totalled my wot4 few weeks back. Motor mount was a straight swap from that to the eagle. Had to shim about 5mm to get a nice gap in the cowl and punch out the blind nuts on the bulkhead. filed out the cheeks on the cowl to get more airflow round the motor and opened up an exit route underneath. 20181004_223912.jpg

20181007_095749.jpg

20181009_201503.jpg

20181009_201509.jpg

ARC,

I’m sort of relieved to learn that I’m not the only one to total Wottys. First was loss of concentration/trying to fly and talk simultaneously, second was a first attempt at a slow roll with rudder and down elevator. Have subsequently achieved latter, not tidily, with my Acrowot. Coincidentally, my tail Wagginess re the Sea Eagle is partly due to the recent loss(battery failure) of an ancient Excelsior pattern ship which I really took to.

So, Sea Eagle, F3A patternship or generic 3D in pretty clothes?

It would obviously fly with any of the Watt 4 electrics, ASP 61 or possibly Saito 72 and it is winking at me.

BTC

My correction my motor out my wot4 is a 3548 05 v3 thumper. Just re-balanced mine at 117mm no nose weight needed. My 4s 5000mah 40c is just hanging off the rear of the tray so re-cutting some slots for velcro is needed. Again checked and double checked on watt meter. 45 amps on 685w at 3/4 throttle more than enough power and keeping well below the 60amp limit.

Having had a little more stick time on Sunday with this , I'm not convinced the 4s set up is enough for this 5lb bird. Dont get me wrong its powerfull but you are nearly at your limits on the motor and esc. I'm thinking 5s with a G46 motor on a 80amp esc 

Edited By ARC on 15/10/2018 08:38:43

Good point, it's the relatively short fus which is making me wonder as the late Excelsior, current Infinity and imminent Anderson Rocket all have much longer fuselages. Maybe it's because they're between old and vintage and this isn't.

Still winking at me, ASP 60, Saito 72 or same LiPos as the Acrowot ... ? Which reminds me, how does this compare with an ARTF Acrowot?

BTC

Yes! Terry's a clubmate and a recent auction included three Excelsiors, two with YS pumpers (£45/gallon) and a smaller one with a NIB Saito 72, which I bought just for the engine. It flew an absolute treat until I crashed it. There are five Stephenson's Rockets about to be in production, wings awaited from ... Bill? undies backordered from Flobbyking; balsa pack en route, etc.

It may be the start of a UKCAA sub-group at North Leeds!

They're all intended for 4 strokes, probably 90s as far as I know, as we can't fly 2 strokes but if mine ends up a bit porky, there's a just run in Laser 100 standing by. Ought to suit your screaming pumpers then.

Terry recently finished a big plane which I deduce is a more modern take on F3A and has a large, deep fus, slightly whale-like in profile, nicknamed "Flipper", which is electric but I'd have to check on the details. I'm pretty sure he doesn't read these ... let me know if you want Further and Better Particulars.

BTC

looking at whats avail , the 5045 / 10 v3 would do a good job on 5s , by my calcs i'm increasing weight by around 237g from 4s to 5s . I could drop the mah but that would mean a new set of lipos which i dont really want to purchase

Posted by Nigel R on 15/10/2018 22:50:20:
ARC bit sure why you feel it is lacking power. I'm running the exact same motor on 4s5000 with a 11x8 apc in a 4.75lb chilli wind and vertical is unlimited.

BC yes it is a narrow fuse for sure but easily modified at build time.

Hi ,

Its not lacking power but after a 6min flight just doing circuits my motor and esc were both warm to touch . i wouldn't expect that, doing aeros maybe and pushing it a little but just stooging around at these temps i expected it to be stone cold.