Charging/discharging Futaba 9C Super.

JohnnyB

Hey Guys, Well I'm just preparing to join a local Club, but in the meantime I've been preparing for my "Born Again" model flying activities by aquiring (Christmas presents) Futaba 9C super radio set and a Pro-Peak Constellation charger/discharger.
My immediate problem is that, how do I actually connect the Tx / Rx batteries to this charger for cycling purposes?
I've charged the Tx / Rx using the Futaba set charger because I want to start getting familiar with the sets computer settings etc, but as I won't be actually flying for sometime yet, I understand that to prevent "memory effects" its a good idea to keep the batteries cycled.
Can anyone help please.

Advert

John, I use the 9C, it's a good bit of kit. you need some charging leads with a Futaba connector. They are available commercially in most model shops for £3'ish.
One end of the lead will have a Futaba female plug and the other end will split to red and black gold banana plugs - these push into the sockets on the charger.

I usually remove the battery from the TX to cycle it but leave the rx batt in the model.

I don't have the same cycler as you but I suspect the unit will ask you to set the default discharge and charge rates, then connect up the battery and hit the 'start' button.
As a guide if I was cycling a 1000mah pack then I'd usually set a 1amp rate for both.

Hope this helps if not then put on another post.

On a similar topic, I have an X-Peaks 3 charger that only gives the maximum charge rates in the instructions - 4.7amps for a 7-cell NiCad. This wacks the charge in in 20 minutes or so and I'm sure thats not right! My 7-cell NiMHi says charge at 100mA for 15 hrs! Any guidance would be really helpful.

Hi John .You wont be able to cycle the Tx battery with it plugged into the TX .You will have to remove it as there is a diode in the charging ciruit . Similarly you will not be able to charge your Tx battery with your propeak charger whilst it is in the Tx as the charger will not be able to read when the battery is charged. It may charge the battery but will just keep on charging and possibly damage the Tx and battery.Good Luck and happy landings

• 2 years later...
Engine Doctor,

Unless Futaba have changed the design since I bought my 9C, I think you'll find that there is no diode in the charging circuit.  There certainly isn't one in mine.

From the (US) manual on the Futaba site:
Note that the 9C super transmitter system has electronic protection from overcharging and reverse polarity via a poli-switch. It does NOT have a diode in the charge circuit and may be discharged/peak charged with the battery in the transmitter.

...and in case anyone was wondering, PolySwitch devices are polymeric positive temperature coefficient (PPTC) devices, which are used to help protect against harmful overcurrent surges and overtemperature faults. Like traditional fuses, these devices limit the flow of dangerously high current during fault conditions. However, the PolySwitch device resets after the fault is cleared and power to the circuit is removed

• 2 months later...
Help!   I've also got a problem charging my Futaba 6exa 2.4ghz TX with a pro peak prodigy  charger.  Now I know the transmitter has a diode in and some people strap them out (not a good idea) but when I emailed Ripmax about polyswitches they just suggested removing the battery.   The last thing I want to do is keep removing the battery, does anyone know what rating polyswitch should be fitted because if Ripmax can't/won't help I'd do it it myself.  Incidently one of the Futaba transmitters comes with a polyswitch fitted, but I can't remember which one.  I suppose they may have saved a £1 not fitting them to the 6exa's