ABC pinch on new motor

Nigel R

I succumbed to temptation and picked up one of the irvine 39 motors that were recently turned out for the wot4 pro.

It's a beautiful bit of metal. Irvine production values really were right up there.

Anyway. That aside.

The engine is brand spanking new and had the most ABC pinch I have ever felt. I'm almost scared to turn it over - and so far i haven't.

I don't want to damage anything so what's the deal with the first start, should I try and warm it up somehow or just make sure there is plenty of lubrication and get it going as usual?

Advert

I had the same dilemma with a West 52, it needed ‘two hands’ to turn it over, it was so strange I contacted West who said not to worry about it, just run it. So for the first start I used an electric wrist but for all subsequent starts I backflip it. It got better after a few (20) flights but still is tight.

Last November I bought an ASP 52. It was tight to stupidity. It was a Hobby King job, cheap as chips, so I just ran it. Pinch had tamed to tight good conpteesion after about 2 hours, and fully nice after the first 5 litres. Destroyed recently when the airframe disintegrated at 100 meters during frisky manoeuvres , and the engine hit the crushed/rolled stone patch we use as a runway.

I've just replaced it with a new secondhand ASP 60. Just the same. The similarity to its smaller cousin gets me thinking that how they do it now.

Edited By Don Fry on 28/10/2018 14:16:47

Great stuff thank you chaps. I shall just get on with running it in the usual way. With some warming if I can arrange it.

I had a 36 many moons ago, I don't recall that having a pinch like this. Doesn't mean it wasn't. Memory being fallible and all that...

One of my club mates turned up last Wednesday with a new OS AX, I think a 75, ostensibly to run and tune it in an airframe. It was just short of two hands to get over TDC. To cut a short story even shorter, it started with a reverse flick after about 6 odd tries, ran 2 tanks perfectly happily and flew a full tank an hour later.

I believe the protocol is to get them hot ASAP then run rich for a tank, gradually leaning out. Whatever, it was very tight and it runs very well. Hope this gives you some comfort. Is it about tapered cylinders in ABC engines?

BTC

I though the protocol is open it up, tune it to max, but if it starts to sag, cut and allow to cool off to cold, and start again. As soon as it hold power for 10 seconds, get it in the air, but don't let it sag, and don't do unlimited verticals, and keep moving the throttle.