Building Brian Taylors Cessna 120

Thanks Percy....................Yes, in hindsight I could have got away with what you suggest.

I suppose the next job really.......is a test of the Rx re the covering.

I have already changed the position of the Rx from deep in the bowels of the fuz to inside the cabin, where there is plenty of "glass". If it still proves to be an issue I can easily put the Arial outside in the fresh air.

The Chrome covering is very good, easy to put on, but does show every mark. You feel like you need to polish it every five minutes. smiley

D.D.

I have covered the struts, and fixed the lock nuts with threadloc, I have labelled them port and starboard, for obvious reasons.................

I have put the lines on the fuselage and the cowl, I used masking tape to apply the thinner lines and the ones on the cowl. I made my own scheme.

D.D.

img_20190526_143016.jpg

img_20190526_143236.jpg

img_20190526_151809.jpg

I tell you what Percy, I was just browsing in the LMS. Having got what I wanted, I was nattering to the Gaffer, Ian, and my eye fell upon those stripes, they had been on the shelf for donkeys years, the ticket had faded, and they were covered in dust. I took a chance that they would even stick to anything, but I reckon I did OK Matey......

Any of the earlier civilian types do it for me Percy, I admire the Warbirds, but you can have a bit too much of them

I put the 120 on the scales, everything in, and on that has to be in and on...... She came out at 2438 g,

that is 5 lb 5oz.

I had forgotten the Rx battery in the last weigh in, so ESC, Rx battery, struts, stripes, a couple of aileron extensions, the prop and the prop nut, added another 12 oz.

D.D.

Only one digit out Dood.....LOL

Here are some pictures of the 120 in the Garden.

B.T.W. I did a finger balance and she was spot on the C of G with the Lipo up against the fire wall. I can move the Rx battery forward a little more if needs be. 

D.D.

img_20190526_193733.jpg

img_20190526_193759.jpg

img_20190526_193850.jpg

img_20190526_193859.jpg

img_20190526_193917.jpg

img_20190526_193930.jpg

img_20190526_193954.jpg

img_20190526_194004.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 26/05/2019 20:12:43

Posted by Percy Verance on 26/05/2019 19:53:47:

That's the thing with those Hostetler designs. They're all BIG.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/05/2019 19:55:13

I often look on the Belair site and maybe one day I will get another part set and have another go, I also like the Chester Jeep.......in fact I like a lot of them............Oh Dear !!!! dont know There will be more time when I retire LOL.

D.D.

The trouble with being retired is that you don't get any holidays crying

That's a cracking build, DD. I haven't been saying much but I have been following it in the hope of getting me out of my aeromodelling lethargy. It will happen but I haven't done any building since Christmas and it's weeks since I've been flying.

Geoff

Well I have 7 years max and about 5 min to work yet, but I don't intend to stay slaving too long. LOL

Seems like you need a schedule more after retirement Percy.

Thanks Geoff, What is next on the bench Matey, maybe if you get the bits out and have a mooch, it will get the juices flowing again.

Or maybe it's something you have to do and once it's out of the way you can get going again. With me it was the kitchen refurb....I just had to stop everything else until it was done

D.D.

Nice, I see you like the minimalist look, no clutter. Is that your spot by the magazine table ?

I did test the signal strength yesterday. I left the model in my workshop Rx in cabin, with daughter no 2 keeping an eye out (only the Rx battery connected) I went into the lounge, which is 3 rooms away. the model did not display any glitches or control problems, and responded to inputs. I moved rudder, daughter shouts rudder, I move elevator, Daughter shouts elevator.......................You get the picture...... wink

Anyway, three solid walls between model and Tx and all OK.

I will do more testing just in case, but so far so good.

I will also get video of the maiden. won't be for a week or too tho as it is half term and I have to work from

11.00 - 7.30

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 27/05/2019 22:24:26

High praise indeed, thanks Martin.... blush

Sorry Andrew767, only just saw your post. Thanks for the compliments. I would like to build a Mr Mulligan. I did have one in the workshop a couple of years ago that belonged to a friend, sadly now departed. We were doing it up, it was about 40 years old and had a Tartan 44 cc twin glow engine in it. We got to the stage of taxiing it around wingless, having got the engine running sweet. I have a pic somewhere.

Whatever I build will be civilian tho, as I have had my fill of warbirds for now.

D.D.

Here you go.

mister mulligan 006.jpg

That's a cracker Steve done a lovely job there, will have to come and have a butcher's at it sometime.

I have been retired thirteen years now and madam makes sure we have plenty of holidays, we got back from Scotland last week Isle of Bute for a week then over to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, beautiful weather. Wish I could get my mojo back building and flying. Sorry back on topic. All the best for the maiden matey I'm sure it will fly as good as it looks.