Building Brian Taylors Cessna 120

I have received a text from Royal Mail, to say my parcel from Steve Webbs has arrived.

Delivered to my neighbour at 32, Well............that's my house......so who knows where it is then....LOL laugh

Anyway, I will probably get some Chrome covering on the rudder and elevators tonight to see what it looks like...

Just need to sand down the corrugations a little first.

D.D.

Advert

Are the struts structural, Dwain?

I'm asking as I had an interesting moment with my 1/4 scale Cub where they most definitely are. The plans called for 2mm clevises and I uprated them to 3mm ones as 2mm seemed a little "weedy".

All was well until I was coming out of a loop and there was a loud crack - one wing settled at an extreme dihedral angle and I nursed the model back to terra firma where I found a pair of rather bent wire stubs at the root and a flapping strut with a detached clevis, despite having taken the precaution of adding a fuel tube retainer. I machined up a couple of more serious clevises with proper 2mm allen bolt fasteners before the next outing...

I would say that the struts are structural Martin. The Dihedral braces do not go very far into the wings at all. That is why I have already beefed up the strut mounts in the fuselage and in the wings. I have changed the orientation of the fuselage ones thru 90 degrees also.

I had a similar sphincter tightening experience with the Auster struts, but they were held on with bolts.

I will definitely consider 3 mm clevises when I get to making the struts, there is plenty of room in the fixing holes. The ones in the fuz sides were pre cut (D.B.Scale), and now you mention it, may be too loose, I can easily open up the 4 wing mount holes to 3 mm.

D.D.

Well....this Chrome covering is different, you have to be very gentle peeling the backing, as if it creases, it stays creased. The Iron temperature instructions are hit and miss, but after utilising all my modellers patience, and a bit of experimentation, I managed this.... I am pretty pleased with it.

I joined the elevator halves before covering them.

I can't cover the horizontal stabiliser, because I have to make the fairings. So that will be the next job I think............Sheet the bottom, make the fairings and sand everything to shape. I will add the stab before covering the whole fuselage.

Cough, cough, hack.........I can taste the sawdust already......crying

D.D.

img_20190504_213520.jpg

img_20190504_213414.jpg

img_20190504_213346.jpg

img_20190504_213451.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 04/05/2019 22:04:21

Yes thanks Percy, that chrome stuff was my parcel, left at No 36 but Posty had written my house number... LOL

The twin aerials on my new radiolink gear are quite long, and could be routed out side the model if necessary.

img_20190505_192230.jpg

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 05/05/2019 19:28:56

Today I have been making some things to keep my pal McGee happy.

The aileron control horns........wink

I have also fitted the rudder horn to the ..............er..............Rudder..surprise

I have also sheeted up the bottom of the fuselage, the plan says 3 pieces, I used four.......it was much easier..

I tacked them on, then wet them and bent them round the formers. Slight adjustments had to made as I went but nothing more than 1mm. Using four pieces split the worst radius in half on both sides. I have done some planing and sanding, but need a bit of a rest as I have also fitted a laminate floor in the kitchen, face 21

D.D.

img_20190505_170514.jpg

img_20190505_170546.jpg

img_20190505_170627.jpg

The first of four fuselage sheets.

img_20190505_175836.jpg

Tacked on.

img_20190505_180027.jpg

3 down..

img_20190505_182623.jpg

img_20190505_182638.jpg

All done. Plus the tail block shaped and sanded.

img_20190505_185156.jpg

Yes Percy, I was thinking of the 12 channel Rx, that has two long aerials, but i had to dig out the Boomerang from the garage to show you that, then I remembered I was using the R9DS in the 120 so I showed you that. The Aerials on the 12Ch Rx are covered apart from the last inch, which as you, and Dennis say, is the important bit.

Yes, it was the Royal Mail. LOL

I don't have time to wait for balsa to dry out matey.......laugh 4 Pieces just made access to formers easier mate.

Stock Photo of 12 Ch Radio link Rx, just for you....

radiolink-r12ds-12ch-receiver-24ghz-for-at10-transmitter-photography-device-2524-839434091-ddd27e5318f94e9b66e82284ab5e8d5c.jpg

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 05/05/2019 20:45:33

One more effort before Beddy Byes guys..............

I had to see how the horns fitted so had to cover the ailerons............they fit ok. surprise

I have drilled through the end of the ailerons, through the horn, and inserted a peg (cocktail stick) to strengthen them and stop them pulling out.

D.D.

img_20190505_233036.jpg

Sleep ????? I haven't got time for that !! cheeky

I have to decide between World Models LighTex, @ £14.49 (2m X 800 mm)

OR

Oratex @ £11.49 (per M X 60 mm)

From a price point of view it's LighTex all the way, bigger and cheaper, and oriented towards electric models.

I need you Guys opinions please, have you used one or the other, or both ?? I have used neither. Help me choose Chaps......indecision

The Cessna 120 I am attempting to model, typically had the polished fuselage with a doped and painted wing.

D.D.

I can't be of help here, DD.

I only used some Solartex on a small test piece and not even for real on my Vicomte.

Do you need the 'fabric' texture for your Cessna wings?

If not, Doculam is quite light but sturdy and can easily be painted.

Cheers

Chris

I am putting the Brakes on this project guys..............................winklaugh

I was hoping for the fabric look McG, Yes.

In silver, it would save a lot of work.........Just cover and go.

I have covered the centre section of the wing and the hatch cover, and I am in the process of the final filling and sanding of the fuselage.

D.D.

Wheel discs from 1/16 th ply

img_20190506_185046.jpg

Discs and caliper.

img_20190506_185200.jpg

img_20190506_185135.jpg

Brake lines.

img_20190506_190719.jpg

Looks great, DD.

But to be honest, in my former automotive days, I never saw a caliper on only ONE side of the disc... devil

There is some space left outboard the disc, so please could you foresee the second half of your caliper? ... please...

Cheers

Chris

Trust you McG.........................But, as only you and I even know the discs are there, and no one at the field will even notice all my hard work...........I think we can get away with it mate. wink

But.................now you have put the thought in my head.....................thinking

D.D.