Building Brian Taylors Cessna 120

This morning I was wondering how to get some ply onto the bottom of the hatch. Normally when you do a built up balsa cowl or hatch you can incorporate the ply as you build up the layers and then sand it all down in one go.

In this case the thing is at a set height governed by the laser cut bits.

So......I whacked the thing on the belt sander until I had space for the 1/16th ply base. It would be easy to go too far here, and get all out of square, but I did good and it all still fits. I added some lugs so nothing moves side ways, here the trick is to get the base of the hatch the same width as the fuselage rails. The magnets can be recessed into the ply and I normally use countersunk screws in the fuselage rails, shown here on the Moth.

D.D.

img_20170304_140119.jpg

The 120 Hatch.

img_20190406_124917.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 06/04/2019 13:24:25

Thanks Cymaz. laugh

Had a think about what Barryt said about cooling, and there is no way out for hot air once all the sheeting is on, so I cut a hole in the bottom of the tank floor, and added another battery tray which is also level with the formers, to avoid battery snagging. I will still have to cut a hole in the exterior sheeting. I will also scope out some more of the former at the back, as a 4 cell lipo only just scrapes in through the hole.

D.D.

img_20190407_130556.jpg

img_20190407_130643.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 07/04/2019 14:29:00

All looking good Dwain and that is a smart looking radio! Did you buy a 6ch rx as well?

What motor / ESC / prop combination are you using with your 4 cell battery?

What are your plans for covering material?

I was thinking about an alternative venting solution. How about this idea?

c140 cabin window.jpg

Enjoying your posts. Keep it up.

Now then, I have a telemetry module, that will read battery temp, that window could open on a servo switched from the Tx when the heat alarm goes off. thumbs upwinksmiley

I will post up Georges recommendations re motor etc when I get home.

Since my favourite covering is now defunct ( solartex ) I'm not sure what to do. I would like to do the chrome scheme, but I don't know how practical that will be re the coverings available. The scheme in your pic Barryt is typical of the era I suppose, and could be painted over the covering material.

I just have the 12 Ch rx at the moment, there are 8 and 9 Ch rx available, anything less is aimed at ground or multi rotor, in that they are micro sized, and some have gyros in them. A 9 channel Rx is about £20. The 12 Ch is only £28.

I still have a DX7, and it works great. I have all my Heli models in it.

I dropped my JR DSX 9, and broke all the top switches....It still works OK, but the trust is not there....Hence the Radiolink AT 10 v2

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 10/04/2019 18:40:04

Back to the balsa bashing in a small way, I have chopped the tail wheel mount about quite a bit in an attempt to follow the plan, but in the end I bought a ready made tail wheel assembly, which was cheaper than buying all the gear to make one. Sometimes you have the bits in your stash and sometimes not !!

So more chopping and a new ply wheel mount plus a bit of reinforcing later.............

D.D.

I left the original mount in there and chamfered the new one to meet it....plenty of strength there now......not that I need it with my perfect arrivals......cheeky

Some more balsa will be added to put the profile of the Fuselage back as per the plan.

img_20190411_111533.jpg

img_20190411_112059.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 11/04/2019 11:53:27