Home made fuel

nigel newby

Posted by nigel newby on 07/11/2018 11:25:05:

Certainly does Jon, Trouble is my local shop does not seem to stock it. I use Addlestone models. I do try to support my local shops when I can

Nigel N

they will be able to order it for you Nigel although you might have to buy 4 gallons. Given its advantages i am surprised MT themselves do not do more to promote it. Their techpower range is also really good and considerably superior to their older generation fuels.

Advert

Nigel/Jon,

Exactly what I was about to write. They seem to list or stock lots om MT fuel, just not Laser 5 which surprises me as every time I call at the Precious Shop and check for orders, somebody I fly with needs Laser 5. It seems to be used in most of the 4 strokes except the odd YS (£40+/gal!) and some Saitos, although mine ran well on it. I don't know about 2 strokes as we're not allowed to fly them for reasons of noise.

I think I heard that right.

Addlestone patently have a trade a/c and regular deliveries with MT and can surely produce some for you? Another reason to buy from the LMS by default.

BTC

Well, the Glotz, you will notice,
has lots of black spots.
The Klotz is quite different
with lots of black dots.
But the big problem is
that the spots on a Glotz
are about the same size
as the dots on a Klotz.
So you first have to spot
who the one with the dots is.
Then it’s easy to tell
who the Klotz or the Glotz is.

Dr Seuss is popular in our house around 7:30pm. Klotz oil less so.

It's a shame that SM won't post as their laser 5 mix is £15. Anyway. On fuels in the post, Elite post a single gallon for £5, or they did last time I used them, and Laser 5 is £20 a single gallon.

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/More/Tools-Materials-Fuels/Fuel

Well that's that then. It looks like Laser5 is the stuff to go for. When I start getting low, I will pop in my local shop and ask for some. They might already have it in stock, as I just asked for dynaglow, as that was what I have used for years.

I wonder if the local bakers stocks fat rascals?

I was going to make my own fuel but after testing a lot of my smaller 2 strokes it seems they are designed around 10% nitro as they run way better on it and my bigger 60-90 2 strokes run great on 5%.

I thought it, just is not worth saving a few quid and creating work for my self to have an engine not run at its best. So I just buy Laser 5% and I use goglo for my 10% nitro it has 15% ml70 oil in it.

I also have a gallon of castor I've never used and also a litre of ml70. So if I can't get the fuel I want I can get something with less oil and just add in what I need. I get my fuel from wheelspin models.

You can also use ml70 as after run if you like. I use it when assembling new engines as its the same oil as in the fuel meaning there are no issues with compatibility or anything like that. Its also very gloopy (technical term there) so it sticks to everything.

As a side note i had a chat with MT yesterday and they say that Laser 5 is increasing in popularity with more and more people asking for it. The biggest increase is people at shows asking for it so i am told.

I am quite pleased to hear this, and am pleased to hear that those who have tried it on my recommendation are happy with its performance.

Sounds like the Laser 5 is the business. Just worked out that to mix it your self comes out at £21.79 a gallon. Cheaper to buy it ready mixed. As Tartan Mac says it,s just not worth the hassle. Its the nitro that cost the money, if you stick with just castor added then a lot cheaper but not really worth it.

Edited By nigel newby on 08/11/2018 16:24:03