Which Flight Sim?

SIMON CRAGG

Advert

My two pence worth Simon

A genuine Pheoeix disk and lead will still upgrade to Phoenix 5.5

On loading up, this can default to " Everything ON " at start up, and overwhelm your computer.

You can do two things, " Clean up " and " Defragment " your computer drive, and then go through

The Phoenix features, and turn some off, like clouds and details to reduce their impact on slowing down your computer

A correctly set up Phoenix is still exceptional and is hard to beat for flying experience

You're right, there's not many to choose from these days. The main alternative seems to be Realflight 8 which is available as a disk or as a download via Steam.

A seemingly less popular sim is Aerofly RC7 which is available in the same ways as Realflight.

I use Phoenix, RF8 and Aerofly RC7 for planes (AccuRC for helicopters) and like them all. Aerofly has the best graphics, followed by RF with Phoenix being not quite as good. I think that Phoenix has the best flight physics (it can simulate tip stalls and snap spins better than the others) but RF8 and Aerofly are not far behind.

Realflight benefits from a fairly active user community generating user models that are available from the Knife-edge swap pages - some of them are better than the supplied planes, some are not. Realflight also has a Horizon Hobbies add on package that includes a number of the current HH planes (including their SAFE system where applicable) if that floats your boat.

There are a few other cheapie/freebie sims around but I'm not sure they are worth the effort unless your budget will not stretch to the above mentioned.

Take a look at Picasim for Android and Windows PC's. It does have a strong bias towards gliders and slope soaring in particular but there are some fixed wing aircraft and even control line! The flight dynamics are superb and best of all is the price, it's free or (as I did) make a donation if you like it.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 10/11/2018 08:58:47:

My two pence worth Simon

A genuine Pheoeix disk and lead will still upgrade to Phoenix 5.5

On loading up, this can default to " Everything ON " at start up, and overwhelm your computer.

You can do two things, " Clean up " and " Defragment " your computer drive, and then go through

The Phoenix features, and turn some off, like clouds and details to reduce their impact on slowing down your computer

A correctly set up Phoenix is still exceptional and is hard to beat for flying experience

Denis, tried all the above but its still a jerky / glithcy thing! Computer has more than enough spare capacity etc. I notice that the resolution cannot be changed?. I'll probably stick with it, as RF is a bit expensive.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 10/11/2018 13:37:20:

Denis, tried all the above but its still a jerky / glithcy thing! Computer has more than enough spare capacity etc. I notice that the resolution cannot be changed?. I'll probably stick with it, as RF is a bit expensive.

Most likely, your graphics card (if you have one) isn't up to the job. A decent one will allow you to run in the best quality without jerkiness. You can improve your situation by adjusting the slider under Program setup/System/display. Slide it to the left until you get smooth movement.

It's nothing to do with the simulator. Realflight will do the same. It's your settings that you need to look at - either your PC or within Phoenix. I'm using my old gaming PC with a GTX 750 card, and It runs it perfectly. What sort of mjnitor do you have and which graphics card?

Did you try sliding down the quality slider like I suggested?

Edited By Dave Hess on 11/11/2018 12:28:48