Precedent Bi-Fly 48

Hi all, I have a Precedent Bi-Fly 48. I am just about to finish it off ready for flying. Don't know too much about it, but it should have stringers between the wings Would it be ok to get some ali tube, flatten the ends drill holes and then use these as stringers. I do not have and plans for it although I have found some here on this forum. The trouble is that they are a bit hard to read. Also need to sort out an undrcart and wheels, but I think my LMS will be ok for that.

Nigel N

Advert

The correct term for them is struts. IIRC, the kit had plywood ones that were splayed out (sort of bell-shape) at the ends.

I don't see why aluminium tube shouldn't work. The only thing is that aluminium suffers metal fatigue, so the ends might break off after some use. You'll be OK as long as you keep checking for cracks.

Edited By Dave Hess on 10/11/2018 19:27:35

1st thing 1st Nigel, you are no longer a Newby

In the olden days , I built and flew both of these, the 25 and the 48 and spares were easily available from SLEC

The 25 had a preformed wire u/c that you soldered up, and yours had an aluminium folded job

Very easy to make either u/c

The stringers were held in place by rubber grommets and a screw, sliding in a shaped plywood form

The beauty of this is that during an heavy landing, the wings could come apart without damage

Don't know how this post got in this section, but hey ho. It was meant to go in all things model flying.

Still , thanks for the info will zap an email of to SLEC and see if they still have any.

Nigel N

PS I am still a Newby as I have always been one. LOL

Edited By nigel newby on 11/11/2018 00:04:19

I had both the BI-Fly versions, and both flew very well.

If you are going to make your own wing struts, please be careful to get the wing incidences correct. If the wings are twisted the model will not fly well (if at all). It would be useful to obtain a wing incidence meter to make sure that all the surfaces are the same. Having two wings on each side, they can be a bit tricky to set up, but is essential if the model is to perform as intended.

The struts are a balsa ply balsa sandwich on the small one.

A rubber grommet is screwed to the bracket attached to the wing.

The ply core slips into the groove of the grommet. The balsa fairing has a larger cut out and goes over the grommet.

Tighten the screws and the grommet squashes out and grips the ply.

Works very well in practice.

I can try and get a picture later.

The tops and bottoms of the struts have slots, which is what you can see under the screw in that photo. There's an angle piece screwed to the wing that provides a tab to fix the strut to. You can just make it out if you look at the bottom edge of the strut in the photo. The one in the photo appears to be painted white. you can also see it through the slot, but it's not easy to see in the photo unless you know how it is. The screw that you can see is permanently fixed to the angle piece, though you can screw it right out if you want. It has a grommet on it to provide a bit of shock absorption and to grip on the strut. The procedure for removing the wings is to loosen the screws and slide out the struts.

Edited By Dave Hess on 12/11/2018 01:04:32