Chris williams ASK-11

Hi, Couple of years ago i was looking to build the ASK-11 glider but never got round to it but now i have more time on my hands so iam asking how difficult is this glider to build regarding wing joiner, any wash out in wings and so on. I class myself as a intermediate builder but don't want to set something on i can not finish. Was hoping to get in touch with Chris via scale soaring but can not post a question so was hoping somebody or chris might respond on this forum. Thank you for any help.

Advert

I built one a couple of years back from the Sarik (Traplet) wood pack, mine was the first and I found a couple of very minor issues which I fed back and they got them corrected (the main one I recall was the aileron riblets, but it was easily solved).

It goes together well, not a difficult build, it uses the HQ3.5 section which works well without washout and it flies very nicely.

There's a video of mine on it's test flight here done quite a few more flights now. Note the spoilers are quite effective, so it's best to retract them just before touchdown,

Another thread on it here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1953299-The-ASK-11-Flies

Any questions just fire away.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 14/12/2018 17:54:20

Hi Frank, can I ask what's the weight of your ASK-11 & what's the power train ?
I have a 1/5 scale ASK-14 (see my avatar) built from a kit many years ago. AUW is 88oz, power a 1956 vintage Fox 19 (previously used in C/L stunt models) that was converted for RC using an OS carb, IIRC prop is a Master 8x6. The model's been an attic queen for many years now waiting for conversion to electric.

Bees, it thermals OK, but it is a bit more draggy than a normal powered glider, so while it can be thermalled it's never going to be as good as a dedicated electric glider like my MPX Heron for instance. Note I don't have folding prop on mine, but do have the ESC brake on so the prop doesn't windmill.

Patmc - I've never weighed it, I'll check it and report back, but it doesn't feel very heavy. I'm using a higher Kv motor than Chris used, around 600 Kv I think, running off a 5,000 mah 4s battery, again I'll check but it's not short of power.

Hi, I never expected it to be a all out thermal machine but if it catches the odd thermal and can get longer flight times by just toogling along on low throttle than that will suit me. One more question if i may and that is regarding the stall , has got any nasty surprises such as a tendency to tip stall. Thank you.

It will stall and drop a wing if you push it too far, but it is pretty gentle. The spoilers make landing really easy, I have it set up like my pure gliders (and other electric gliders) with spoilers on the stick and power on a slider.

I don't tend to potter around on low throttle, more climb and then glide around, but flight times are not an issue, obviously depending on thermals and if I'm using the height for a few loops etc.