RC Paints

Mike Stevens

Advert

I'm not aware of any brand called "RC Paints", so I presume you're talking about paints in general.

These days I use matt water-based acrylic paint by Lifecolor, usually applied with an airbrush. With fibreglass models or parts I prime them with Halfords plastic primer from a spray can. When finished I spray the whole thing with Humbrol varnish (which is oil-based) to protect it from the elements. I use matt, satin, or gloss varnish according to what finish I want.

The only time I've had a reaction was when I used Solarlac paints (which use cellulose thinner) on top of Humbrol oil paints (which use white spirit type thinner), presumably because of the different solvents.

These are RC Car Body spray paints for Polycarbonate body shells

The clean up solvent is Acetone and may suggest some form of Enamel Paint

As you found, these are more difficult to varnish

If covering small areas, give light coats of varnish, and time to dry between coats

Large areas would need a more stable 1st choice of paint

I've used RC Paints sold as matching Oracover. They claim to be fuel resistant but really need some lacquer to protect them..They smell like enamel, I think I used the old Flair Spectra Clear Gloss clear the top to give a reasonable degree of fuel proofing. Not the Spectra 'fuel proofer' 'cos it ain't. The Clear Gloss that they sold was much better.