Flying off the beach

CARPERFECT

Hi all. As i have 10 days off at xmas, i thought about going to the coast if fine and no wind. I know its a bit much to ask for in December. Was thinking Blackpool/ Southport way. Does anyone know if you can fly off the beach, Not sure of bylaws ect. Its a long time since i took my car on the beach on Morecambe bay. I have flown of the beach at St Annes I.C. but 30 years ago

Advert

Living in St Annes, I have considered flying from the beach.

I am aware that from time to time some one or some people do fly from the beach, at St Annes. My concern is that it is sensible to go out a fair bit. The danger is that the tide always seems to be out, until it suddenly rushes in on the flat beach. The beach is far out (wide) and pretty much empty, it is possibly at least half a mile wide, from St Annes up towards Blackpool.

I have been told that some slope soar from the sea wall at Anstel, although I would have thought it takes some doing. I have seen gulls soaring though, even as far back as the boating lake.

I have wondered if it is possible to slope soar from the sand dunes at St Annes, although I have not tried, as there is always the odd dog walker.

The real hazard is holiday makers, they seem to be about the whole year.

My first recollection of flying in a full-size aircraft was when my father took us both up for a joy-ride in the DH Fox Moth that used to operate off Southport beach. This would have been around 1954/5. IIRC it was five shillings for an adult and 2/6d for me (25p and 12.5p in today's money!).

I don't know if they still operate joy-rides from there (I doubt it!), but it would certainly indicate that the sand is firm enough for models!

smiley

--

Pete

The joy-rides are no longer operating but for many years an area of Southport Beach was a licensed airfield during the summer to permit the activity. After the Fox Moth a Cessna did the duty & the last I recall was a Bell 47 operating one summer. This used to return to Woodvale each evening to be extensively hosed down & lubricated.

Full size are still allowed to land during the Southport Airshow weekend & there is usually a small selection of light aircraft & microlights on the ground during the display. Unfortunately not this year however due to the state of the surface. Southport MAC also do a model show for an hour or so before the full size display.

On the same theme, I remember having a go on a sand yacht on Lytham beach back in the 70's. The experience was quite unnerving trying to negotiate around wandering dogs & site seers while steering a land yacht made from steel rails at speeds approaching 30mph. I'm not sure if the practice is still happening or the authorities have banned it.

I understand that sand yachts were banned from operating from the beach a long time ago. I understand due to a fatality of a pedestrian.

I am not sure that it was at the same time, flying kites was also banned. However there appears to be some relaxation now as there is a "Kite Festival" every year.

wp_20180831_19_58_45_pro.jpg

In the case of flying model aircraft it almost certainly a case of being sensible. You know you cannot fly where it is probable that a member of the general public will wonder up to you. To avoid that happening you will of necessity have to walk away from the promenade several hundred yards. It is also typical that the wind is blowing in from the sea pretty much all the time. That means you will also be flying away from any member of the public. If you intend flying a fast or large, or noisy model, you would be asking for trouble.

Just like i see people flying kites, be sensible, and no one takes any notice,

From time to time I see people flying the kites that attach to people who stand on surf boards, no one takes much notice.

On a beach that is as wide as the Sahara desert, walk a bit and you are away from the holiday makers etc. Just have your spiked track shoes on, if the tide is coming in, as you will need all the speed you can get.

Posted by Peter Christy on 19/12/2018 09:17:55:

My first recollection of flying in a full-size aircraft was when my father took us both up for a joy-ride in the DH Fox Moth that used to operate off Southport beach. This would have been around 1954/5. IIRC it was five shillings for an adult and 2/6d for me (25p and 12.5p in today's money!).

I don't know if they still operate joy-rides from there (I doubt it!), but it would certainly indicate that the sand is firm enough for models!

smiley

Pete

I did that in 1949 - granddad took me and my brother, probably in the same Fox Moth. I still have the photo of it and the certificate I got on return. Once round Blackpool Tower and back to Southport in light drizzle.