Ever seen the like?

Martin Harris - Moderator

Posted by ken anderson. on 29/12/2018 17:02:13:

I would say the cause is too much heat and not enough lubrication...….that is if faulty metal isn't the cause...

ken anderson...ne...1..lubrication dept.

Your probably bang on there. The cam gear box is notoriously poorly lubricated part of the OS (and many copies ) design. I always give good shot of oil in there when working in that area . The only engines I haven't seen show signs of wear are YS ! Similar design but after hours and hours of use no wear marks at all ! It could be the faulty cam followers together with lack of lube and the heat that are the root of the problem .

Advert

I believe that the recirculating breather was introduced in order to improve the oil/air vapour flow through the cam chamber rather than for any environmental concerns. The old breather pipe length guideline was to ensure this flow. Some Saito 180 degree crankshaft twins actually went to the trouble of providing air pumps built onto their backplates to push oil vapour through the engine as the opposing pistons didn't change the crankcase volume.