Gyro assisted CofG

Former Member

You would be better off using a slightly more intelligent device like a flight controller or a stabilised receiver that has 'return to level' such as the FrSky SxR receivers. The next question for me would be what happens under failsafe condition? Will it just drop out of the sky?

Call me old fashioned but for our purposes with no duplicate/triplicate systems with comprehensive on-board computerisation I'd rather accept a slightly higher wing loading and some natural stability. If the wing loading is that high that it can't be landed on your strip then take the prop off and chuck it off a big hill in a good wind.

Advert

A stabiliser contains one or more gyroscopes plus some logic to control the output. A gyro as we use the term is a single axis stabiliser most of which allow switching between either rate control to counter gusts or heading hold to maintain a set trajectory. Stabilised receivers such as the FrSky S series and (I believe) Spektrum' SAFE', A3X and the like contain 3 gyros for full three axis control along with some control logic to enable swiching between rate, return to level, knife edge, prop hang and possibly other modes.

I've used a simple gyro in the past to help with ground handling on a Baronette and I have some S8R and S6R receivers but have yet to play with the stability features in them.

A simple single axis gyro of the sort I've used in the past wouldn't like a signal loss so could be unpredictable in a failsafe condition if everything isn't set up with a bit of forethought. I guess a more complex stabilised receiver could also be set up for 'return to level' under failsafe, certainly with higher range radios.

In Memory of BEB - the above represents my current understanding and opinions.  Rest easy Dave angel

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/01/2019 13:42:34

I have my doubts about using a single gyro to enable flight with a true 'unstable' CofG as distinct from a 'poorly positioned' one.

A single gyro for longitudinal stability would work but only if it was kept with strict limits as once say any roll was present automatically applying elevator alone could well make the situation worse particularly if any form of aerodynamic stall occurred.

A full 3 axis gyro is better but even then the sophistication of its on board logic as well as other inputs, like air speed, angle of attack and even level of power are really required for the system to work out the appropriate control inputs to ensure an unstable plane never gets into a situation from which it cannot recover.

To be realistic RC plane stabilisation is there to help the pilot control the plane, which is does very well, whereas a full drone system with GPS really controls everything and simply lets the pilot move it in a chosen direction and speed.

It is perhaps worth remembering that such autonomous flight capability is one of the reasons behind the new "UAV" regulations which unfortunately effect all forms of model flying.

There are 2 possible answers to the Fermi paradox.

1: They're already here. They just haven't told us yet.

2: They're on the way. It's a very long journey over several light years

Apart fom the already fitted gyros in the small indoor helis I have (eg V911) my sole experience is a cheap HK gyro I fitted to the rudder of my GP Stearman on the rudder to aid the take off run. As it turned out the problem with squirmy (extremely so) take-offs on our hard runway was worn out wheels so I'm not even sure if the gyro helped but it probably did.

When experimenting with a FrSky S6R in my Riot I was flying several mistakes high and ended up in a cloud (the only one in the sky which turned out to be lower than I thought) and I lost the model . I've had a S8R for a while but, as yet, haven't had the courage to try it out.

Geoff

There are a lot of pilots now using gyros in slow scale models, some notable ones at the Nats in scale! The Powerbox igyro3e has a 4 x setting exactly for this. So effectively 400% gain, Std gyros would not be sensitive for roll, and slow on pitch. The iGyro works on the slowest models and I've seen it flown in a President Stamp with 30 year old (slow) servos.

Many display pilots use gyros...even in slow flying models, it make the model look amazingly stable. Also some set the model tail heavy (neutral) and use the gyro to stabilise the craft in pitch. All in one Rx/gyros are a world away from what the Powerbox gyros offer.

Anyone wants to discus a requirement 01923 270405 office hours.