How can I reverse a plan to build two wing halves

Phil Horne

I think it's a poor show when a designer doesn't give even a simplified view of a second wing on a plan, even if that means going to two sheets and especially where the plan is two sheets already! Both views provided on my Brian Taylor Spitfire plan, but just the one on my latest build, the Dennis Bryant Chippy. Slopping oil or whatever over a plan is a non-starter for me, so I went with the 'up the window' light box method.

Despite the faffing about, it's not difficult and only a few minutes work to get the important stations. I always get a copy of the original plans from my local print shop, not the same quality paper, but well worth the extra few quid as it's helpful to have a clear view of what you're working on when the original is obscured by your workpiece. Being thinner paper does have the advantage of being easier to fold up to get on my printer/copier to produce templates. Unfortunately the machine they use to print locally, doesn't have the facility to do mirror image, hence the window trick.

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/02/2019 11:59:03

Advert

Distortions caused by copiers are usually a result not of machine imprecision but of incorrect printer settings. One way to check for distortions is to draw a large circle on the plan with compasses, before copying, including marking the centre of the circle. It is then pretty obvious to the eye whether that is distorted or not after copying. Then one can draw another circle on the copy to see what correction factors have to be applied to the printer.

Posted by Robert Welford on 08/02/2019 15:46:45:

Use carbon paper under plan and trace through - gives mirror image on reverse side!

This is what I do.....use the carbon paper "carbon side" up though so the lines you draw over on the plan side appear on the rear of the plan....

As others have said all you really need are the spars LE/TE & ribs.....thumbs up

Drawing the wing on the back of the plan only works with single sided plans and not with the pullout plans which have something else printed on the reverse. I have never used the carbon paper idea but it's so obvious when someone tells you!

I have always traced the wing plan onto tracing paper to save the original from damage and of course you just turn it over for the mirror image. I used the long rolls of greaseproof paper previously available from Tesco or Boots but in the last year or two the stuff they sell now is hardly translucent and it's brown. Useless for our purposes and you only find out when it's bought and paid for and the box is opened! Does anyone know of a good source now?