LightThing

Max Z

Hi all,

I am sharing my latest "in-between" project, The LightThing. I had already placed some pictures in the "New Models" thread just after the first flights. Those flights indicated that I needed quite a bit more weight at the front, and that the power was a bit marginal, so I swapped the tiny drone motor for a bigger one to address both issues, more weight and more power.

I was not happy with the forward CofG position, so I also decided to add extra area to the twin fins, by enlarging the rudders with about 25% more area.

p1030753.jpg

p1030754.jpg

We'll see how it works out as soon as the conditions allow.

Statistics:

Span 670 mm

Weight 250 grams AUW

Motor ?? (2804 or something)

Prop 6x5.5 APC

Cells 2s-0.95 Ah

Current draw 5.5 A

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 19/02/2019 12:16:35

Advert

Matty, control is rudder and elevator, mixed for V-tail of course. Dihedral is 5 degrees, which is stable enough. It will roll, but very barrely. Oh well, no prizes for precision aerobatics..sadwink

David, A very nice plane you have there, I was not aware of the Funder&Lightning design. I am glad yo like my word play, indeed referring to the (very, very distant) resemblance with the famous Lockheed fighter. It is always a bit of a risk for me as a non-native English speaker, what seems to be playful to me might not be so in your eyes, or worse, it may be offensive language I did not know of its existence.blush

About control, it works the same way as a regular V-tail, see it as a left/right swap of the tail surfaces. The elevator and rudder movements work exactly the same way. The trick in setting the correct direction of the rudder movement is to see them as a regular rudder, cranked onto its side. For a normal V-tail, this is a bit counter-intuitive, you tend to see them as ailerons, but they need to move in the opposite direction as rudders. In my case, because of the "swap", they do operate both as rudders and ailerons(with limited effect) though.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 20/02/2019 11:25:18

The first flight in the new configuration (revised rudders, new motor) is a fact, with very satisfying results. I had to experiment a bit with the down thrust angle, but I have settled that. The no-power dive test confirmed the balance between CofG and fin area is now ok, leaving the CofG at about 25% chord.

I will try to get someone to shoot some video this weekend.

Max. smiley

Posted by Max Z on 24/02/2019 17:02:17:

Got somebody to shoot some moving pictures of me and my LightThing (follow the link to YouTube for a slightly better qualtity):

Max.

Seems to fly very well - great work Max. Quite a bit faster than I thought it would be, but clearly an excellent flier. thumbs upsmile d

Edited By MattyB on 25/02/2019 13:30:20