The Nijhuis 72" Lancaster

Scruffy

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0116.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0111.jpg

Having just recoverd from a flying accident..err i when i say flying i flew over the handlebars of my motocross bike in a very graceful way i might add, and broke my ankle and collarbone on a not so graceful landing , silly accident not my fault "well i would say that" anyway at 53 yrs of age i should know better and anyway the wife will kill me if i get on a bike again!

So iv'e decided to find a safer hobby and purchased a Tony Nijhuis 72 inch wingspan Avro Lancaster and never having built of flown a model before i know you will all say i'm Mad , but i will be taking my time to build this model and during this time i will be joining a local club and getting all the help from them i can get learning to fly as a newbie so by the time i have finely finished this project , with some practical help from you as well i hope i do not have another flying accident with my Lanc!

My first problem where to build it, well the only place possible due to lack of space is in the loft - so i duly built myself a small bench very basic, but adequate and started the build today i'll keep posting as often as i can and your advice on the build is very wellcome. Pics to follow

Scruffy 8/9/2008

Hi there scruffy  - and welcome to the forum - although this hobby does have its share of "hazards" flying through the handlebars is one competion I have not yet witnessed I note you are joining a club and learning etc..... but please do NOT try and fly the lanc until you have several other models under your belt - I really advise you to cut your teeth on something cheap and cheerful ( a basic foamie thing or similar ) - you should really be capable of probabaly at least the B cert before letting loose on the lanc.

Also please remember to fill in a little about yourself on the profile page - that way you will be sure to get more response to your questions! Don’t miss the several threads dedicated to Newbies such as yourself, in the beginners section, together with the few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

http://www.bmfa.org/clubs/index.html

Once again, welcome on board and have fun! Timbo.

Thanks Timbo i will be taking your advice and  will not be in any great hurry at all to fly the lanc until i am told by an instructor i am ready to , my plan is to start with i basic trainer are gradually work my way up .

Hopefully i will be able to build this model to a high standard  and it will take me quite some time to finish

Scruffy

Managed to get a little done tonight and have finished the stringers on the fuselage ,looks like there will be a fair amount of sanding down to get it smooth enough before i start on the sheeting .

Because this is the first time i've ever built anything like this i wondered if i should have picked a smaller kit to begin with, but i've always liked the lanc and have often seen the "City of Lincoln" flying around Lincolnshire also not to far from where i live there is the Lincolnshie Aviation Heritage Centre at east Kirkby where they do a taxi runs of "Just Jane" another Avro Lancaster of which i think i'll model this Build.

Scruffy

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0121.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0120.jpg

Hi Scruffy

I admire your resolve to built a 72" Lanc as your first model. Big is not necessarily more difficult but there is more of it to do, particularly with 4 engines!

Balsa glue is great at sticking balsa but if you want to glue it to anything else (eg hardwood) then as Rob said there are better options. Remember balsa glue dries fast so that limits how big an area you can successfully glue at one time. A slower drying glue may be required in some of the big balsa/balsa joints.

You will expend a lot of time & effort (& money?) on your Lanc. Keep going, but if in doubt - ask! 

Thanks Simon and Tom  yes it is an electric Lanc ,not sure which motors to go for yet i'll decide when i;m a bit further on into the build  all advice gratefully received .  

I took Robs Advice and bought some Titebond so i'll be using that as well as the UHU , no time tonight to do any work on it i'm afraid i'll try and crack on with it tommorow and over the weekend .

Scuffy

Scruffy,    I think....  Tony Nijhuis reviewed  the build of his Lanc in RCM&E some 6-7 years back. Try and source a back number. Have you any instructions on the build  other than what is given on the plan?     

To be quite honest this is not a 'First Time' build . I would advise you put the project on hold, and hone your building skills on  a  trainer, after all that will be your first requirement to become airborne, but if you are determined to continue, then keep the questions coming. It is so easy to build yourself  OUT of a model.   

Thanks for the info about the review tom i had allready found it and downloaded it before i started its a good guide and is helpfull i also found another online build blog which is quite good at rcuniverse.com a chap called Scott G.

I was full of good intentions at the weekend to get stuck in and get some building done but didn't manage to, anyway its monday and i've got a little more done tonight , I have been building an outer wing section up i got halfway through and realised i'd made a cock-up, 2 of the wing ribs need to be set at a slight angle for the outer engine nacelle's so they needed a bit of tinkering but everything seemed to go well and i managed to set them correctly.

I went to have a look at a nearby model club to see about learning to fly they seem a friendly bunch and let me have a little go with a powered glider and gave me some advice on the type of kit that i would need very helpfull chaps . When funds allow i would like to get myself a electric high wing trainer and also a powered glider, so more overtime is in order!

Scruffy

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0127.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0130.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33871/Sany0129.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Scuffy, any multi is a BIG build,but if you do it bit by bit, it is as easy as a single, only there are 2,3or 4 sets of engine frame work too  get in place . I have not read or looked at T. N plan but I am sure that he has not complicated  it too much, the best thing is it will fly. choices of glues are important and some parts need a different requirements, for that strength, anything your not sure off, put it on your posting, one of us will help out, MY advice...........keep up the interest in the project, and ask.    Barry

scruffy, i am also building the t/n lanc at painting stage now whilst off work with a broken leg.is your lanc the early plan (one piece wing) or later plan plug in wings.it is a big build for a first go but good luck with it.i also live in lincs and also see the b.b.m.f. lanc a bit as it goes about its duties.keep at it.i have fitted 4 brussless motors to mine on opto controllers and a ubec for the radio gear.still a way to go though.best of luck scruffy keep the motorvation going.      billy

Thanks for your postings, the lanc has been put on one side for a few days while i try and build a fuselarge for a little powered glider it started off as a thunderbird but i was disapointed with it as it was and it flew like a brick so i used the electrics and tail with a larger wing that i got from the local hobby shop to build something a little better i hope i'll put a pic on when i can .

I am hoping to get it finished for the weekend so i can take it to the club and give it a try it will be my first proper flight!.

Bill what motor setup have you got i also want to fit brushless but not sure what motors to fit or how to wire them together , the lanc i am building has the 2 piece wings and plastic cowls, have you any picsof your lanc?

Also got myself a trainer a cessna bird-dog 45" wingspan artf needs motor and electrics i think it will be a good model to start of with .

Scruffy

hi scruffy        the lanc i am building is the early plan with the one piece wing,so the nacelles and cowls are made of balsa and lite ply (pain in the arse to do)i am using 4 keda kd2217-20t 22A 860kv (220w) motors on 8inch 3 bladed props.(i have one of these motors on a 3d thing that goes mental!! so i know they are good) 11 quid each.the esc are total overkill at 60A but are opto and only 11 quid they are mounted just behind the motors in each nacelle.esc s are all y-leaded together and all motors start all together and run up nice.(nearly pulls the wing out of your hand)each motor runs off a 3cell 2250mah lipoly.yesterday started sprayin the fus,next week may get a bit more done but my leg is now ok and work are starting ring me up about going back.i shall try and do some photos for you sometime cheers    bill

• 6 months later...
I've only just found this blog so you've probably finished it by now and are flying!  LOL  I too have bought some plans for a Lanc with 98" wingspan and it too is, not quite but nearly, my 1st build.  I bought the plans some time ago ready for a retirement project and haven't built a flying model for nearly 50 yrs!  And haven' things changed since then!  New materials, modern methods of building, elec motors...the list is endless.  I haven't started it yet but hope to this year.  All this info is extremely valuable and I'm sure some of the questions will be repeated here when I finally get started!  My own thanks to everyone who has given you help and advice, I hope they are still as keen when I need help as I'm sure I will. The advice about different adhesives is particularly useful as there was only one glue when I last built a flying model!  I have not yet joined the local club as I'm not ready to start building anything yet, but I have seen some of their members flying across the fields when I've been taking my dogs for walks round the edge of some woods near me.  One flies a jet, and it really sounds like one!  Can't wait.  Hope they're as friendly as the group you've joined.  good luck.  cheers