Hobby king Fokker E111

I was going to maiden a friends HobbyKing Fokker E111 today. Didn't happen, too much wind, and the all moving tail plane had far too much throw, but I don't know how much it should be, just a lot less than he had set.

i am aware these things sell from Banggood as well, it's a 1500 mm or so laser cut kit. Very nice too.

Anyone know the control throws, and also set up of tailplane datum to the wing bottom.

Believe or not, not mentioned in the instructions

Advert

You know a flat bottom wing is higher lift at low speed

Good for landing and delaying stalled wing

Usually set at zero

Half would be good on the horizontal stabiliser, as I believe that is pushing the nose down

I don't like incidences on any model, and prefer to fly and trim

AND C of G will be critical with all the drag

Posted by Denis Watkins on 22/02/2019 21:11:44:

You know a flat bottom wing is higher lift at low speed

Good for landing and delaying stalled wing

Usually set at zero

Half would be good on the horizontal stabiliser, as I believe that is pushing the nose down

I don't like incidences on any model, and prefer to fly and trim

AND C of G will be critical with all the drag

If it's the same manufacturer as my Storch, it could be Dancing Wings. When I conversed with them about the Storch & the fact the manual couldn't be downloaded from Banggood they sent me a copy, then it appeared on BG's site. I'm sure they would respond if it is their kit, their email address is [email protected]

Alternatively, the web site is **LINK**

Posted by Don Fry on 22/02/2019 21:01:22:

OK, now this thing has a flat bottom wing, very Clarke Y like.

Is about positive 3 degrees for the horizontal stabiliser about right?

my friend has three videos of first flights. He tells, two end in disaster, one is a breeze. I would like to make it 50/50

If you mean the wings are + 3 degrees wrt the tailplane that sounds about right. All moving tailplanes are not usually as powerful in pitch as a tailplane with separate elevators. I'd start with about 5 degrees movement each side of neutral.

However, looking at the images from the link Stearman gave I'd be more concerned about where the pivot point of the tailplane is located. To me it looks to be too far back. The area from pivot line to LE should be no more than 25% of the total TP area. If It's behind that it will be overbalanced & will be unstable in pitch control.

I have a smaller version about 3 ft span , I dont know who "made " it, but it was a kit . it is highly undercambered .

I was given it , so no history . The maiden did not go "well" but it survived , now it flies slow and scale like ,BUT the horizontal stab , all flying , is set VERY VERY negative , approx 10degs . Probably all due to the undercambered wing incidence.

cheers