Bills Kits Mirage 2000

My next build is to be a Bills kit Mirage 2000, originally designed for a 46 to 60 size nitro pusher. I would like to electrify it but am struggling to find a suitable brushless motor, could I ask if anyone could suggest a suitable motor. I'm hoping to get the flying weight to be sub 8 Lbs and am limited to a prop diameter of max 10". I have a liPo choice of 4,6 or 8S. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve B

Advert

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 26/02/2019 16:47:01:

I'm no expert but how about something like this?

**LINK**

Running on a 6s should give you around 13k rpm and 150 watts/Lb if my calcs are correct.

Agree that 10" a bit small for a model that large but if it worked with a 60 nitro it might be worth a go.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 26/02/2019 16:52:56

That's my problem Shaun

No Way would a .60 glow motor survive a 10" prop, and such a waste

Even a .46 with a 10" would get you banned from flying

Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/02/2019 17:59:15:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 26/02/2019 16:47:01:

I'm no expert but how about something like this?

**LINK**

Running on a 6s should give you around 13k rpm and 150 watts/Lb if my calcs are correct.

Agree that 10" a bit small for a model that large but if it worked with a 60 nitro it might be worth a go.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 26/02/2019 16:52:56

That's my problem Shaun

No Way would a .60 glow motor survive a 10" prop, and such a waste

Even a .46 with a 10" would get you banned from flying

3 or 4 blade 10" prop?

Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/02/2019 18:11:42:

It is a pusher Shaun, which can be difficult to source, and drops some power

Your motor suggestion would do it BTW

It is not impossible, it is just stacking up problems, and with a delta too.

Let's see where Steve gets to.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/02/2019 18:13:47

Use a tractor prop reverse the motor rotation and use threadlock on the prop nut?

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

I have discounted the EDF option, it would need a 90mm size unit and I would have to cut some large cheater holes to get sufficient air in.

The Turnigy motor looks promising, I have considered putting the motor in the nose which may lead to problems getting the CG correct but may be a solution.

My thoughts at the moment are to leave the fixed undercarriage off the plane and bungy launch and belly land the plane, if I can source some pusher folding props of the correct diameter perhaps that may be the way to go.

Posted by Steve Balaam on 26/02/2019 18:37:51:

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

I have discounted the EDF option, it would need a 90mm size unit and I would have to cut some large cheater holes to get sufficient air in.

The Turnigy motor looks promising, I have considered putting the motor in the nose which may lead to problems getting the CG correct but may be a solution.

My thoughts at the moment are to leave the fixed undercarriage off the plane and bungy launch and belly land the plane, if I can source some pusher folding props of the correct diameter perhaps that may be the way to go.

Pusher folding props are like hen's teeth, not only do you have to find blades with pusher orientation (or reverse the motor) but you have to stop the blades crossing when stationary which means that they don't open out when the motor restarts and can cause severe vibration. I've been trying to find a suitable folding pusher for a glider power pod project and will have to make my own or used a fixed pusher.

Bungey or catapult launching sounds a sensible alternative to an undercarriage