Stop it!

kam24

Advert

from my point of view i welcome the RCM&E forum open arms,

i live about 40 miles from my nearest flying site and if r/c pilots and builders are prepaired to share info and ideas that i can access on this forum then i am ready to learn and try to help others too !

i hope to help and learn on here.. not just locally but from all corners of the UK,

there is wealth of information and help at the click of a mouse and the tap of a the keyboard..

that is that what a forum is all about in my mind !

Ray

I agree, I"m fairly new to this hobby and the help and advice in these forums is a massive help. The fact that this site is in the uk is an added bonus.
As to my first post,
I just did"nt want the RCME forum to be known as "Those grumpy old men with there flying machines They go up ect ect" lmao!.
Funny how no one thought to start a thread on things that make us happy.
Like the very first time I felt relaxed flying my first plane, I loved that feeling, made me feel like I was standing on the moon! priceless.

I'm another "Newby" to the hobby, only started September 2006 thanks to my thoughtfull daughter who kindly bought me an early christmas prezy in the form of an EP foam RTF P50 Mustang. she got it for me to get me out a bit more as I am disabled and dont get out much (enough said about that!) After a couple of hours putting it together, Charging batteries etc. I was out on the field behind the house. What goes up MUST come down! and it did with a bang... broken motor mount and gearbox.
I re-built the front end and put a new motor & gear box in and personalised it with a new colour scheme and my own decals.
Again it went up... for ten mins and came back down.....again with a bang. this time a broken wing.
After all that I am Hooked on the hobby and I enjoy the Funny as well as fun side of flying. (I got a role of bin bags for christmas!)
Now thanks to RCME I am learning more about the hobby and building from plans and all in a short space of time.
Why did I not think about doing this a few years ago...

• 4 weeks later...
roll on summer, my latest victim is in the shed this one claims to be indistructable !lets face it if you fly then you will at some time crash, i am lucky to have a field to fly from, i did belong to a local club but the miserable old sods seemed to want a place to avoid the wife rather than encourage new members.

• 4 weeks later...
I am the only one to feel that ALL British aeromodelling magazines are poorly written, riddled with bad grammar, spelling mistakes and typographical errors (no excuse for this whatsoever in these days of spell checking word processors) and very poorly designed compared with most consumer magazines? Not to mention in craven hock to their advertisers to the extent of publishing manufacturers' press releases verbatim in the editorial pages.

The editor of RCM&E apparently believes (see product review of the Spektrum DX7 on page 50 of the April issue) that radio waves are affected by air temperature/humidity, whether it is overcast or not, the month of the year, the state of the flying field surface and even the county in which he is flying . He also describes this trial of a new radio system in an IC model as 'surely the ultimate test'. So he is also unaware that the most severe test of airborne radio gear is provided by powerful electric models. I despair.

Tony

I agree with you to a degree. Some of the grammar, spelling and punctuation in some of the aeromodelling periodicals is atrocious.

Unfortunately smell checking wood processors are knot the answer, as their equally if not moor adept at transforming cogent english into gibberish than the average raitha.

The review of the DX7 raises a different issue; the acceleration in the introduction and adoption of new technology into aeromodelling, and the inability of all but the young to keep up.

When the RCM&E editor was a nipper, Lipos, indoor radio control and DX7s were in the realms of pure fantasy. So I reckon you can forgive the poor chap for not quite being up with the science ;o)

I'm not so sure about them being in hock to the advertisers. It does however seem to me that there are many more reviews of the latest ARTFs than of kits, and many more reviews of planes at the dearer end of the cost scale, produced by major manufacturers, than of low volume, inexpensive ones. Do the stats bear this out?

Bearing this in mind you shouldn't be surprised if they rarely turn up a duffer, and if the press bumpf makes the writer superfluous, limiting his opportunities to practise his rammar, spelling, punctuation etc,

Alistair T

Alistair

Can't say that I agree with you about spelling and grammar checkers. I earn my living as a technical writer and journalist and run everything through mine as a matter of course.

As you amusingly point out they won't pick up 'knot' when it should be 'not' or 'smell' when it should be 'spell', etc, etc. It's down to the writer in the end. But a lot of the errors I see in these magazines most definitely WOULD have been picked up by a wood smell and granny checker - if it had been employed.

I stick with my criticism of the DX7 flight test. The factors that the writer considered might affect its performance are entirely irrelevant.

I wonder if most readers appreciate that contributors - particularly kit reviewers - are usually friends of the editor, don't get paid anything for their efforts and have clearly had no training. If you get monkeys when you pay peanuts, what do you get when you pay nowt? A load of waffle usually.

Come on then Tony put your money where your mouth is and write an article for the mag if you think they're that bad. All i see from you at the moment is hot air.

Its interesting to see that modelflying.co.uk seems to entice all the idiots who have been banned from the other forums. Nothings changed then! I'll be back when the d**kheads have got bored!!!