Hi from the Netherlands

playtime222

Growing up with my Dad on RAF bases, I've been on the edges of RC modelling since I was a kid but mostly went to the dark side of scale plastic and PCs (at least I made a career out of that one).

Most of my flying involved an IC Citabria which I got proficient at in Spain when visiting my parents and a 64inch Magister with an AXI motor in the UK.

I'm a better builder than a flyer. I have a decent number of free flight builds under my belt. A Don Smith Do335 build was abandoned years ago as I decided I didn't like the nose shape (too fat for me) and a conversion to electric was going to cost a bomb.

When my Dad passed, I inherited 3 IC planes - the Citabria, a Sea Fury and a half-made scratch-built quarter-scale Piper Cub. The IC planes will be problematic for me, especially as they haven't been run for years and will need a refurb. Oh and there is an electric aerobatic powered-glider.

I'm actively looking at 3 local (ish) clubs and intend to start flying the Magister again this summer. First thing I will need to figure out is whether I can run 35Mhz kit. The second is getting a training buddy when the heretics here (Netherlands) are apparently fond of Mode 1.

As part of the 'I build it, you fly it' deal with Dad and had purchased all the bits for a Tony Nijhuis Lysander but made very little progress before he passed. I'm picking up this one now and hope to complete it to fly in 2020.

So, Hi. You will mostly find me in the Lysander build thread :D

Advert

Posted by playtime222 on 19/06/2019 21:17:02: First thing I will need to figure out is whether I can run 35Mhz kit. The second is getting a training buddy when the heretics here (Netherlands) are apparently fond of Mode 1.

As one of those heretics I can tell you that 35 MHz is perfectly legal in this country (The Netherlands), and in the rest of the EU for that matter.

Max.

Posted by Max Z on 19/06/2019 21:39:22:
Posted by playtime222 on 19/06/2019 21:17:02: First thing I will need to figure out is whether I can run 35Mhz kit. The second is getting a training buddy when the heretics here (Netherlands) are apparently fond of Mode 1.

As one of those heretics I can tell you that 35 MHz is perfectly legal in this country (The Netherlands), and in the rest of the EU for that matter.

Max.

Just to clarify, the heresy was the use of Mode 1 :-D I'm in Den Haag. Which club do you use?

Edited By playtime222 on 19/06/2019 22:49:20

Posted by kc on 20/06/2019 20:24:36:

Max, is 35Mhz legal for PLANES ONLY in Netherlands as in Britain? ( that means NOT for cars or boats)

Yes, I can confirm that. It has been like that since it's introduction in the 1970's.

@playtime222: I fly at the GMVC club, between Benthuizen and Boskoop (about 25k from Den Haag). You're welcome to come and have a look, but I don't think we are taking new members now, the club is already well over 200 members.

Max.

I have to admit to being very tempted with a 2.4GHz rig with a little telemetry such as battery voltage and temperature... :D

I would have to fork out a decent bit of cash to replace TX and several RX, not to mention surgery on models, transfering model setups blah, blah, blah and I just cannot justify that right now.

I asked the guys at Steve Webb when I was there last how much a conversion would cost for my 2 Futaba TXs but they said they weren't readily available and not worth the trouble.

Quite happy to be a luddite in this respect. As above, I expect mijn vreselijke Nederlands and Mode 2 (as god intended for pilots) will be bigger problems at any local club.