Mercury Aeronca Sedan

Advert

Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 23/07/2019 15:15:02:

Thanks Colin, It is a nice build. Plans were very good for there age. Still a bit to do but should be ready to test fly before the event.

A casual day that we call our memorial day to remmember passed members and it is becoming a long list!

An excellent build yes

We also have a "Members Day" to remember our old mates and the list like yours is getting longer . We give a couple trophy's for Best build and Helpful Member on the day . Nice to hear that other clubs remember their old mates

Well after some extra early mornings the Aeronca was finished and flown at the Memorial day. I am very happy with the wat it looks and flies, it was a rushed build as it was done in 5 weeks. The weather was great with very light winds and 22 dgress so not bad for a winters day! The Aeronca has an 83" wingspan and weighs 2.85kg so it is light. Plenty of power from the IMEX 2826 motor on 4 3700 cells and a 14x4 wood glow prop. No additional weight was needed for the balance and little trimming was needed which was a releif as I must admit to having reduced the negative incidence on the stab. The aircraft looks very good in the air and the color scheme is ver vissable.

Nice trophy's had been made for the day and I was lucky enogh to receive one. The only negative of the day is to hear all the names on the roll of honour when it was read and to see how old most of the membership is with no young blood in the clubas50.jpg

as44.jpgas49.jpg

Thanks Colin, the best part of the build is how well it flies! I have an Aluminum tube in the fuselage and on top of that fitting flush with the top of the fuselage between the 2 formers is a piece of ply. I drilled through this ply and the ali tube a little off center with a 3.5 mm drill and then inserted the wing with its ali tube which could have been a good wooden dowel or even a carbon tube and then drilled with a smaller drill. I removed the wing and tapped this hole to take a 3mm bolt. The bolt then holds the wing in position on the fuselage and I have found that only the front bolts are needed to support the wing. The struts are load carring struts and make a nice secure mounting of the wing.

I hope this makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alan. I am very Chuffed with this model. It is strange how rewarding some models are as the look good and fly well with far less effort than others that take a huge amount of time, effort and money to build yet continue to give more frustration than reward. I sometimes have to question my sanity with some models that I own when I can have so much fun with models like this.