Russian aircraft over St. Petersburg

John Privett

Some photos of aircraft (etc!) that I took in the past few days on a Baltic cruise.

I don't know what the occasion was, but shortly after I came out of the Hermitage Museum shortly before noon on Saturday there was a flypast of various aircraft. The first few shots were taken with the standard lens before I got a chance to get the telephoto zoom out for the rest!

First some contra-rotating helis;

contraheli.jpg

Followed by some fixed-wing of various types - if anyone can identify exactly what they are then please comment! I haven't had a chance to look them up yet - and the slow internet connection here doesn't help!

stpete1.jpg

stpete2.jpg

stpete3.jpg

stpete4.jpg

And then, after leaving St. Petersburg, somewhere west of Kronstadt - ok, not aircraft, but may be of interest to somebody!

stpete5.jpg

And back to aircraft, a very close encounter with a Swedish air ambulance that landed on the ship's helipad to evacuate a sick passenger shortly after leaving Stockholm;

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

Edited By John Privett on 17/07/2019 17:16:13

Two more aviation sightings over the past 2 days have caught me unprepared and unable to get even a half-decent photo!

First, at Skagen, a pair of F-16s from the Danish Air Force flew past at low level over the sea, then rapidly climbed to very high level and remained in the area for a while.

Then today in Stavanger I was surprised to see a Spitfire overfly the city. Too high to have a hope of seeing any identification, other than - from the dreadful photo I did manage to take - it had a 4-bladed prop. I don't think there are currently any airworthy Spitfires based in Norway - or indeed Sweden or Denmark - so I've no idea what it is doing here!

Interesting, Jo - thanks!

That Spitfire seems to UK-based, but a regular visitor to Stavanger, often attending an air show there in June. I believe in the photo you've posted it's painted with Norwegian colours on the rudder, wingtips and spinner.

I see that the incident in Korea today, with alleged incursion of Korean airspace by Russian aircraft, is illustrated on the BBC News website (it's currently the most read story there) with a picture of what they describe as an A-50 very similar to the aircraft in the third of my photos. Wiki explains that the A-50 is based on the Ilyushin Il-76 transport as identified by Richard.