Phoenix 1600 motor advice please

Hi everyone,

my maiden was a bit of a failure as 6 mins in the motor burnt out.

I had hoped that with all the reviews detailing the same problem Hobbyking had fixed the problem,

no such luck.

I had a Volantex ASW28 version 1 second hand on the bench awaiting parts, so I popped its motor and ESC into the Phoenix and it flew great.

Hobbyking did refund me 30 out of the 50 I paid for it within hours of my complaint so it’s not all bad!

Ive since completed the refurb of the ASW so I put the motor back into it obviously and at 2.5 meter and a Graupner prop upgrade it flies amazingly well.

So back to my original question , I know I can get another ASW original motor but they are not easily obtained I.e over seas import untrusted sites etc.

Im looking on Hobbyking for a replacement but I’m getting bogged down with Kv, can size and fixture distance.

Has anybody had experience of this issue that could point me to the perfect replacement motor?

I would very much appreciate advice thank you

Advert

According to the Hobbyking web site the spec for the Phoenix 1600 is

Specs:
Wingspan: 1600mm (63 inch)
Length: 1045mm (41 inch)
Flying Weight: 950g
Battery required: 1800mAh 2S
Motor: Brushless 2212-1400KV (included)
ESC: 30A (included)

Which presumably would mean that it is something like this:

**LINK**

I solved a similar problem with my Max Thrust Riot by measuring the motor diameter and length and using the dimensions to search for a suitable motor. I ended up with a motor that looked nothing like the original but was a perfect fit and gave 30% more power.

If you can post a picture and dimensions it would help to find something suitable.

Assuming the fuselage is similar to the old Phoenix 2000 I've got and you're using 3S lipo, then the Propdrive 2836 1000kv that I have in mine should work. On a 10x6 folder it shows 210W on the meter. There's enough headroom to go to an 11x6 if you feel you need more but it's perfectly adequate for my needs.

I own the Phoenix 2000, which is practically identical to the Phoenix 1600 (the fuselage is identical.

I purchased the kit version and fitted the following motor:

**LINK**

It has worked perfectly. (used in conjunction with supplied P2K spinner and prop - which I believe is the same as the P1600 prop). I run on 3s.

However, if I recall correctly I had to fit a ply spacer ring on the inside of the firewall (may have been supplied with the kit?) and made a custom metal reinforcement plate to fit on the outside of the firewall. This was to accommodate the different bolt mounting holes on this motor compared to the stock motor.

Note that the the outer metal plate, firewall and inner ply spacer also had cooling holes drilled right through to precisely match the cooling holes on the front of the motor.

2018-08-19 14.07.12.jpg

20180814_122953.jpg

Edited By Jason-I on 28/07/2019 11:56:43