Electric powering a Biplane or twin

We generally accept that the power required for a moderately aerobatic monoplane is 100 W/lb.

If the model is a twin engine would it be appropriate to drop that figure to be equivalent?

If the model is a draggy biplane, what sort of adjustment should be made to this general rule?

The models are already built and are actually a 'modified' PM Tiger Cub and a heavy Puppeteer at 9.5 lb weight, but I'd really like a rule of thumb guide to cover future projects too. The Puppeteer flies well on an SC70FS but I don't want one odd IC model in my fleet, so currently doesn't get flown. So for this do I need 950 W, more or less?

Advert

Short answer, no difference.

Longer answer, biplane drag will affect top speed much more than anything such as climb rate.

For a twin, power loading is power loading regardless of number of motors. Consider, two motors belt driving one prop.

Posted by i12fly on 30/07/2019 23:13:51:

We generally accept that the power required for a moderately aerobatic monoplane is 100 W/lb.

Depends what you mean by moderately aerobatic. A competition aerobatic model (F3A) has around 250 W/Lb or more. Like I say, it depends on what you mean by moderately aerobatic but I would not consider 100 W/Lb adequate for even moderate aerobatics.

I've got a few electric bipes and a twin, and I don't remember using anything other than the usual guide watts-per-pound. Unfortunately I don't have my data with me, so can't give exact numbers. A bipe generally being slower flyer than a monoplane, I suspect that the same power but lower 'gearing' (i.e. larger diameter but smaller pitch prop) is the answer.

When it comes to the Puppeteer I'm going to disagree with Denis to a degree as I've seen these fly just fine on a 52 4 stroke. You need to decide what sort of performance you want. With all that wing area it should fly quite happily at 70-80W per lb, but it will perform like the WW1 bipe it aims to represent, eg dive to gain speed for a loop. For a modern sport model level of performance Denis is right though it may not look the part. My 5lb 1 1/2 strutter is quite nippy on much less than 400W, on the other hand my WotsWot is 'adequate' on 1000+W.