Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter

ROBERT BURLACE

OK..well, I don't have one of those lasers but.....your diagram looks right to me. I suspect, from the silk layer printing, that the two wire connector is for use if your control board outputs a negative going pwm pulse and the red 3 wire connector is for use when your controller outputs a positive going pwm pulse, which your arduino does. If there is continuity between the - pin in the red connector and A+ in the white one that would reinforce my belief.

If anyone actually has one of these lasers and can state definitively then that obviously overrides my suspicions!

I do sometimes wonder if there is anyone else interested in this laser stuff. dont know

Thanks Flynn we modelers do like to make things difficult for ourselves. Think it would have been cheaper to get my parts cut from an external supplier but my last set of dxf files I sent one company failed to be able to be read, hence the desire to try cutting my own parts.

Suspect tomorrow nights job is to fit some limit switches to the cutter hardware rails, provided of course that I receive the limit switches in the post. Laser should arrive over the weekend.

Continue to play around with the drawing packages I have to try to get the various ribs I want cut, but not finding an easy method to auto trace pdf drawings. Did try one of the web based services for pdf to dxf but the quality was not there, so continue to try various tools in both Inkscape and Autocad 2014. In the past I have used Power Point to generate plans but again the output format of that package limits its ability to be loaded into a SW tool that can generate the necessary gcode.

I have never found an acceptable result from automatic tracing. My best results have been obtained by using LibreCAD, which I believe is suitable for linux. I import an image file, which is usually downloaded as a jpg or png (- but sadly not pdf) and manually trace lines on a new layer and, when finished, save that layer as a DXF. That way you get to decide where to place the lines. The software allows uniform shapes to be created, such as 10mm triangular fillets which differ from the plan slightly and allow you to line up the dowel holes in the horizontal plane, altogether a bit more accurately than just freehand tracing. There are also all the usual abilities for measuring and trimming as well as a shedload of features I will never understand.....

librecad.jpg

librecad_2.jpg

I use DeskProto as my CAM software but that is Windows only and I have no experience with linux......keep lookingyes

When you get this working you will a) have learnt a new skill or two, and b) have the kit to make loads more airframes! c) not have to wait on anyone for freshly cut parts.smiley

CREDITS...free plan from AeroFred no rights reserved!

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 11/12/2019 11:46:36

I've just taken the plunge and ordered an Alphawise C30 DIY kit and have absolutely no experience in cad or what software to use or even what works with what etc. Very steep learning curve ahead methinks

Is there an idiots guide somewhere that outlines the basics of how it all works

Thanks in advance

Alex

Posted by Andy Joyce on 12/12/2019 19:21:51:

Can someone please advise how the carriage limit switches should be set/wired. Have set $20 & $21 to 1 with the switches wired to NO but cant seem to get then function as expected.

That sounds right...but if you have a new cncshield have you seen this -

End Stop Configuration

By default GRBL is configured to trigger an alert if an end-stop goes low(Gets grounded). On the forums this has been much debated and some people requested to have active High end-stops. The jumpers in the picture provides the option to do both. (To run with default setting on GRBL the jumper need to be connected like the left shield in the image below)(This Jumper was only introduced in Version 3.02)
End-stop Configuration Active LOWorHIGH

When triggered it should stop the motors and bring up the alarm which will require a reset to clear. what are you getting?

Posted by alex nicol on 12/12/2019 19:52:27:

I've just taken the plunge and ordered an Alphawise C30 DIY kit and have absolutely no experience in cad or what software to use or even what works with what etc. Very steep learning curve ahead methinks

Is there an idiots guide somewhere that outlines the basics of how it all works

Thanks in advance

Alex

It can be a steep learning curve Alex, What are you wanting to achieve with the laser? Benbox software comes with that kit, that will allow you to import image files and engrave onto wood and other 'soft' materials. If you are wanting to cut balsa then you are going to want better software, I would suggest LibreCAD for your CAD and DeskProto for your CAM with LaserGRBL for a sender...but that is just me...if you ask 10 people you will get 12 different answers. some users on here use LightBurn, which has all 3 functions, but that is a paid for app. I am not aware of an all encompassing tutorial, but YouTube is full of 'how to' videos.

I am sure you will be aware but take care when the laser is operating, it will not any prisoners.

Get the kit built and start playing!

Posted by FlyinFlynn on 13/12/2019 16:37:03:
Posted by Andy Joyce on 12/12/2019 19:21:51:

Can someone please advise how the carriage limit switches should be set/wired. Have set $20 & $21 to 1 with the switches wired to NO but cant seem to get then function as expected.

That sounds right...but if you have a new cncshield have you seen this -

End Stop Configuration

By default GRBL is configured to trigger an alert if an end-stop goes low(Gets grounded). On the forums this has been much debated and some people requested to have active High end-stops. The jumpers in the picture provides the option to do both. (To run with default setting on GRBL the jumper need to be connected like the left shield in the image below)(This Jumper was only introduced in Version 3.02)
End-stop Configuration Active LOWorHIGH

When triggered it should stop the motors and bring up the alarm which will require a reset to clear. what are you getting?

Yes I had seen these posts Alex which did confuse me as don't have the end stop jumper on my shield PCB.

After a bit of searching on the topic discovered it was likely noise on the limit switch wiring. So added a few pf's across the two switches on the Y axis which were causing the issue and now have a working system.

Traced out last night the ribs for a Bird of Time using Inkscape just for a bit of fun. Found the bezier tool is so easy to use that I had the task done in minutes. The only issue I have is there must be a control key to draw only a horizontal/vertical lines when selecting the next node but darned if I can find it.

Andy

Posted by alex nicol on 13/12/2019 17:47:47:

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking to cut balsa, lite ply and birch ply up to a max thickness of 3mm.

It'll be light hobby use, ideally I'd like to be able to cut formers and wing ribs for plan and od builds.

I can foresee many evenings of gnashing of teeth and hair tearing ahead

Indeed...if you get stuck help is at hand!

Andy.. Those mods will only be on the genuine cnc shield from Protoneer.. i don't think the Chinese have ripped off his latest design, it just sounded like it might have been your problem but I am glad you have sorted it. The internal pull-ups on the Nano are a bit on the weak side so a bit of noise filtering can do the trick.

Sorry, can't help with Inkscape..don't use it.

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 14/12/2019 19:57:53

Thanks FF, I have a feeling a little help or a steer in the right direction may be needed and will also be very much appreciated.

Id also add, there's been a couple of suggestions that regular laser cutting and 3D printing topics would make good and popular magazine features .......... it'd get my vote

Currently stuck regarding the laser control.

Proven that the laser turns on with 5V applied to its TTL A pin and turns off with 0v applied.

Testing spin enable on the Arduino Shield which I thought should be used to control the laser I find it stuck at 5V. Tried sending M3, M4 & M5 commands but the logic state remains at 5V.

Have I missed something here or has the shield output been damaged, or should I be using another output to modulate TTL A?

Think I have an old shield that has swapped Spin enable and Z+ end stop. So again tested the z + pin and found that sits at 0V even after typing M3 M4 or M5 commands.

Am I using the correct format to toggle the laser on and off as simple type M3 into the command line?

After playing around and using CNCjs now have the shield laser output pin Z plus working, but it does not fully turn off the laser. Therefore should I put a 10K pull down resistor is used for prevent the momentaneous laser powering on when Arduino resets and put the driver input control at high impedance state.

Well think I should delete some of my posts because have been led up the garden path by an intermittent PSU.

Going back to the start I do have a working Arduino Spindle start output but when using the Laser off command I still get a reduced output from the laser under the control of CNCjs after the M5 command is sent.

Thinking the issue was the Arduino or possibly the software, I then tried grounding the laser TTL A pin to 0v but again the laser stays on.

So open to any suggestions as how to fix the issue and to get the laser to turn off completely.

As previously stated I am only using a single PSU so the issue is not the 0V refs between 5V and 12v rails.

Suppose I could put a mosfet onto the Laser power rails under the control of Spindle Start.

Edited By Andy Joyce on 15/12/2019 14:06:44

Edited By Andy Joyce on 15/12/2019 14:07:57

Well beginning to make a bit more progress as noted the gcode samples I had created from inskape did not appear to be turning the laser on and off. Nor was the spindle control changing state. So assume I have not correctly set up the conversion.

Sample of my first test code is:

(Using default header. To add your own header create file "header" in the output dir.)
M4
(Header end.)
G21 (All units in mm)

(Start cutting path id: path191)
(Change tool to Cylindrical cutter)

G00 Z5.000000
G00 X106.985560 Y23.194600

G01 Z-1.000000 F200.0(Penetrate)
G02 X106.580342 Y21.496198 Z-1.000000 I-3.761889 J0.000000 F200.000000
G02 X105.410460 Y20.081620 Z-1.000000 I-3.709958 J1.877158
G02 X103.723897 Y19.227222 Z-1.000000 I-3.039246 J3.907588
G02 X101.131660 Y18.866190 Z-1.000000 I-2.592237 J9.125711
G02 X99.606977 Y18.962763 Z-1.000000 I-0.000000 J12.084020
G02 X98.303921 Y19.225850 Z-1.000000 I1.154410 J9.076265
G02 X97.044947 Y19.645037 Z-1.000000 I4.884494 J16.770103
G02 X96.158316 Y20.032010 Z-1.000000 I3.265368 J8.690817

So tried using DFX2GCODE and whilst I found the drawing paths was not correct at each corner, the spindle control was correctly activated. So now pondering what I am doing wrong in INKSCAPE with regard to the tool selection.

Sample of the new code is:

(Generated with: DXF2GCODE, Version: Py3.6.7 PyQt5.11.3, Date: $Date: Fri Oct 25 20:45:56 2019 +0200 $)
(Created from file: C:/Users/Slick/Documents/storch1.dxf)
(Output format description: G-CODE for LinuxCNC)
(Time: Sun Dec 15 18:23:55 2019)
G21 (Units in millimeters)
G90 (Absolute programming)
G64 (Default cutting) G17 (XY plane) G40 (Cancel radius comp.) G49 (Cancel length comp.)
G0 Z 15.000

(*** LAYER: DRAFT_ENTITIES ***)
T1 M6
S6000

(* SHAPE Nr: 1 *)
G0 X 64.611 Y 20.724
M3 M8
G0 Z 3.000
F150
G1 Z -1.500
F400
G2 X 62.611 Y 20.724 I -1.000 J -0.000
F150
G1 Z -3.000
F400
G1 X 26.599 Y 20.721

Do you have the following values in GRBL -

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

if so then your PWM level is set by Sxxxx

first ascertain if your hardware is working correctly. in the console send

G1F2000M4

S1000 the laser should come on full

S500 the laser should dim to half power

S0 the laser should switch off

M5 disables the laser

If that is ok you are looking at a software configuration issue

Your inkscape output has no S command so i cant see the laser switching on at all.

Your DFX2Gcode output has a single S6000 command so I would expect the laser to come on at full power with the M3 command but there is nothing switching it off....

The following GRBL commands all have to be present for the laser to switch on

G1... active move command as opposed to a rapid, positioning move (which is G0...and the laser wont fire)

Fxxx sets the speed

M3 or M4 enables the laser but it wont fire until it is told the strength

Sxxx once GRBL has all 4 commands (in any order) the laser will fire

You can then shut off the laser either with an M5 or an S0

Ah yes.....that's because you ain't moving! M4 ramps up the laser power from 0 at a standing start to whatever the S command sets when the laser carriage is moving. You would see a voltage if you added a G1X100 for example to move the X axis 100 mm

Got an oscilloscope?  It makes it easy to see what is going on.

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 15/12/2019 19:58:27

Success, after lowering the power setting pot on the laser now able to turn the laser off with S0, but its certainly not operating at full power with S1000. Adjusting the power pot on the top of the laser in the other direction certainly increases the power but then does not give me zero emissions with S0.

Ummm.I assumed that the adjustment pot on top of the laser was to adjust the maximum power sent to the diode, but that should not affect the low end...a bit like a throttle trim in reverse!

Sending M5 should cut the laser, so you will just lose a bit of control at the bottom end and we aren't too worried about that when cutting. Set the knob to maximum volume set S1000 and turn the laser on with M3/M4 and off with M5. By the way I don't think GRBL understands the T commands in your headers.. it is for tool changing.

There is no pull down on the cncshield Z+ pin so maybe you could do with a 1k resistor between Z+ and ground...it is a mod done on the eleksmaker control board to try and prevent spurious firing during the processor boot...can't hurt to try it!

this would do the job!

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 15/12/2019 20:16:07