Spektrum newbie

Christopher Morris 2

I just been to a local club to see about joining & noticed that 90% were using Spectrum radios from 6i to 8e's. So when i book in for some training/tuition looks like it would be best for me to pick up a Spectrum 7/8'ish "No Problem"
Question is, if when we link the radios for some tuition, so the instructor can take over at any time, can one Spectrum be in mode 2 & the other in mode 1. ?

Thanks

Advert

Chris, yes absolutely: I fly mode 1 DX8 and have a mode 2 DX6 in my transmitter case bound to the DX8 master exactly for that reason, so I can fly mode 1 but train mode 2 flyers.

Just be aware that the Master set is the set that is bound to your model and is the set that will be used by the instructor, and the Slave set will be the one that you use. So typically your instructor will bind your model to his transmitter, get it all set up and trimmed and bind your transmitter to his as the slave. There may well already be the necessary equipment in the club.

Or a similar radio, without the voice facility, the DX6e. I've got one and it's fine, but I do miss its lack of a voice telling me what the switch change is doing, and timers, and even battery warnings, that my DX9 does.

If you can afford a few more quid, I would start out on a DX6. Before you pay out, if you are joining the club, see them again. People upgrade transmitters. There might be a second hand one going. Usual warning, see that it's from a trusted source. Not a broken, dropped, cast-off. But club mates do not normally rip off club mates.

Posted by kc on 03/10/2019 16:16:08:

The latest DX6 would be quite adequate for training and would be suitable for most models after too unless you know you want more than 6 channels. A lot cheaper than the DX7 and 8.

Thanks for the quick replies. Cant find the info on the difference between the DX6 models. Any ideas.

That chart seems handy but a bit complex. The DX6G3 sems to be the one to have at a modest price. Some others don't have wired trainer link which might be important if your instructor does not have wireless link. It's the instructors Tx that has wireless link, pupil can have a Spektrum without wireless and still link to instructors wireless TX.

Note that DX6i are not sold now, ( they are grey not black like latest ones) and that any secondhand ones can be DSM2 only,or DSM2and DSMX or DSMX only which are the latest ones imported to UK.  As long as the Rx is DSMX then they will all work.

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 17:49:41

Yep, trainer leads come in two lengths. Too long or too short.

Mind, the default Spektrum answer, hold down the bind button is mind numbing, when all you have to do is take control of the sticks. And when the crisis is is gone, throw a switch and back, with a shout, "yours", does the job.

Panic over, that,s what i thought. It was a bit off putting that they should say Mode 2. It gives you the impression that it was only that mode.

Just another question if anyone has used one & found it ok?. I assume i am right in saying the Spektrum Wireless Simulator Dongle WS1000 is for a simulator as the DX6e has no port to plug into. Any views?

Thanks

I've got one, it's fine. Don't know about the dongle. I can't check as the tranni is at a friends. But I think it supports wired buddy as well, and has a port.

just had a look at the instructions. No mention of a port.

Edited By Don Fry on 05/10/2019 13:26:11

The WS1000 plugs into the a USB port on the PC and gives a wifi connection to the Tx. with Windows 10 (don't know about earlier versions). Interfaces easily with the RF8 Sim (recommended). I've used this sim on a 15.6" laptop and a 27" monitor on the PC - both work well, so you don't have to have a big screen.