Veron Avro 504N

Advert

Hi Chris, Yes, the OS does bend in nicely. I chose to use a four stroke for exactly that, the prototype used a .29 two stroke and did not fancy the large silencer sticking out the side.

I have been dropping in now and again with your sabre build and as always you build so neatly and your bench is tidy unlike mine.

Alan, thank you, It came out better than I had expected.

Toni, this did cross my mind but having had to rasp away some of the engine bearers to get the cowl to fit I'm going to give it a miss, might regret it later but I don't fancy the bearers failing either. I could always make a large cowl and it would look like a "K" version.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

The Avro is now all but completed just waiting on a pilot and to sort the rigging wires (elastic thread).

All of the servos are now fitted, I left this until I balanced the model so I could move the servos but in the end I did not have to move them at all just changed the LiFe battery for Nimh battery (6v) for a nice nose down attitude. Closed loop for the rudder fitted along with the snake inner for the elevators and bit of fiddling and slight cursing for the throttle servo and the aileron servos fitted. Control throws adjusted to best guess on three rates, I have looked through the instructions and over the plans and there seems no mention of any throws for the rudder and elevator. As for the ailerons I have added more up than down and again set up three rates.

All up weight came out just over 6lbs or 2.7kg which is 1/2lb heavier than the review model back in 1978 most of the weight I guess would be from the iron-on covering instead of light weight tissue and the 40 4st motor instead of the .29 2st motor.

With a total wing area of 896 sq ins or 0.57sqm gives a wing loading of 15.01 oz/sqft with a stall speed of 19mph so a nice gentle flyer I hope

Just need to wait for the pilot, some decent weather for a photo shoot and the flying field to dry out a bit for the maiden.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Finished, all except the pilot and maiden flight.

Rigging was a bit of a pain to do and the interplane struts need some sort of retaining method. I was hoping that the rigging would hold them in place but no.

I managed to do some photos in the garden this afternoon.

dsc07880.jpg

dsc07881.jpg

dsc07883.jpg

dsc07886.jpg

I thought the rigging wires were a bit thick but they are about right

dsc07889.jpg

Position wanted

Just need a suitable pilot and some weather and maiden her.

What to build next....................

That's all for now, I'll keep you all posted when the maiden happens.

Regads

Robert