Plane that can have lots of modifications.

Advert

You are probably looking at something with a wooden structure, rather than a foamie. The few foamies I have owned all seem to have very cramped interiors.

I bought a Wot-4 foamie as a test hack for radio gear, only to find the receiver compartment so tiny that only smaller receivers can be squeezed in!

--

Pete

It sounds as though you are looking to buy rather than build. Building gives you more options, both in the type and shape, but also to add things as you go along which will help the planned modifications. However it is then quite a while before you fly.

Another option is the FliteTest foam board models. They are quick to put together - hot glue and a couple of hours for most of them. If you want to change anything, a sharp knife will cut your way in, and more hot glue adds the new part. What you are looking to do matches the whole idea of their system. You can get the laser cut kits, or download the plans and cut from board. Their own board is slightly lighter than normal craft 5mm board, but that works as well. Some of the models are designed with several variations, 3/4channel, single/twin motors, sweet drop bays, FPV etc.

Must admit i have seen some real Frankenstein models that have been cobbled together & adapted, that have worked surprisingly well. Its this type of experimenting i like to see. The Maule looks a good bet & would be great if i could pick up a second hand one up, as they are a little pricey for a foam.

Edited By Christopher Morris 2 on 16/10/2019 06:46:47

Thanks for that Brian. Looks a great choice & looks ;like the boomerang has loads of room. It looks like you could put another shelf inside for extra equipment. Not quite sure from the literature if it comes with anything? IE: motor, servos, do you remember what yours came with?. It also looks very upgradeable.
I am also surprised at the very reasonable prices in comparison to others, but maybe if it doesn't come with certain parts, this might explain it. But, nice looking plane.