Hobbyking Skipper

Shaun Walsh

Went flying at the weekend and after all the rain we had recently the field was very wet and soft, first flight with the Riot and on landing the wheels just dug into the soft ground and it flipped over, so out came the Hummer for hand launching and no-roll landings. A couple of other members had brought along a Skipper XL and a small home brew amphibious model and had no problems. So I have ordered a Skipper but noted that the spinner was a stuck on foam thing, can anyone tell me the spinner diameter so that I can order a proper one?

Thanks

I'm on my second skipper, old one wore out. The spinner lasts well because it's not vunerakbe where it is

To fully fair it is 33 mm. My old one, after a repair, needed a new prop, and I fitted a 15 mm spinner in aluminium, to inprove cooling to the motor (but original was fine), I had one that size, and move the CG back.

The last is an issue to me. It flies fine with the recommended 1800 3s batteries, but its nose heavy for me. It flies a lot better with a good 1300 battery.

Edited By Don Fry on 21/10/2019 10:09:18

I have had a lot of fun with the Skipper and it's big brother the Polaris Ultra. Via a convoluted pathway involving double dealing, back stabbing and Chinese trickery the PU became the HK Skipper XL. They are really versatile models and some of my favourite toys. For a bit of a giggle I fitted some CL-415 inspired fins to the PU - they actually seem to make it a bit more stable in windy conditions.

fins.jpg

Ordered a 30mm aluminium spinner from Robotbirds together with a couple of APC-E 6x4 props. Took me 20 minutes to get the prop off the prop driver, whoever thought it was a good idea to glue a foam spinner on needs his head examining, they managed to glue the prop and driver threads too.

If anyone is interested , the motor shaft is 3mm and the prop driver is M5.

I, too, have a Skipper XL. I've had for years, along CARPERFECT's lines, but never got round to building it. The wife went to her (99 year old) mother's for a couple of weeks, so all - well, almost all - of my carefully-hidden-in- plain-sight kits came out of the shed and were constructed. A lovely, relaxing time for me - I put tools or a bit of a partially assembled down on a table, kitchen worktop or bed and, lo and behold, it was in the same place a day or so later!

The Skipper was the last to be constructed and I want to do a wee bit of decoration before the maiden. I envisage slope-soaring close to home, and I rather think the hull will be well-suited to landings in the long grass and heather on the West-facing cliff-tops. KiwiKid's fins look to be a good idea in that respect. Who knows - if I land-out in the sea I might even get the fuselage back!

Here are a couple of relevant links which inspired me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er6NEAaOKtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yd2QjJ_HVg

New spinner and prop arrived today, excellent service from Robotbirds!

Looks a lot better with the new spinner and prop.

Have also:

Added extra ventilation to the motor cowl.Kipper mods

Glass weave tape to the fuselage bottom and sponsons.

Reinforced control surface hinges.

Strengthened the elevator pushrod with carbon fibre tube to prevent flutter.

Carbon fibre tube skid to protect rudder base.

Just waiting for the rain to stop.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 26/10/2019 14:13:32