power panel

Alan Gordon 5

Advert

One of the many useful things that I've learned from this forum is that engine starters work great on an old lipo from a Wot4 foamie!
That, plus a Cyclon 2V battery and leads, and the excellent handcrank pump from HK, is a real "no problems" system.

Another advantage is that I walk out to the runway with the 2V Cyclon and leads in my pockets (separate pockets!) so, if I stall the engine, I can restart immediately, without humping the plane back to the car...

Edited By brokenenglish on 01/11/2019 16:03:40

I'm another power panel refusenic - had one once, vastly over rated, electric fuel pump failed quite early, adjustable glow driver output makes it so much easier to burn out a plug and the combined weight of a lead acid battery and your fuel in one container invites a slipped disc and/or a hernia. My own preference is for a retired 3000 LiFe flight battery powering my starter. My glow clip is fed from a pair of size D Duracell dry batteries soldered together in parallel and wrapped up snugly in fibre tape - these usually last at least one season ( the last pair did two ) and are pocket proof unlike some of the clip on NiMH glow drivers. And a hand cranked fuel pump - far less fuel wasted by overfilling!

One of the reasons for using a large-ish ammeter is that it makes it very easy to diagnose when an engine is flooded or dry - as well as indicating a burned out plug! Old car battery chargers, broken power panels or ebay are good sources!

Whilst different makes of plug draw different currents, once you know what the normal current is, an ammeter will show clearly any problems. If the plug is drawing more current than usual, it is flooded. If the current rises slightly when the motor is cranked by the starter, but drops back to normal when the starter is removed, it is dry.

Also bear in mind that most plugs are designed for 1.5 volts. A plug should only glow cherry red, NOT ORANGE when lit! Running it at a higher voltage will not necessarily burn it out, but it can lead to the platinum coating flaking off, leaving the wire looking dull grey. If this happens, no amount of heat will get the engine running correctly, as the combustion process relies heavily on the catalytic action of the platinum - not just the temperature!

Cylon cells may be OK if used with long leads - say 3 ft of bell wire. But with a decent single NiMh, it is impossible to damage a plug by over-driving it, yet such a cell will deliver all the current that a plug needs.

--

Pete