Hello

Darren Riley

I just want to say hello to you all.

I started with a little glider that just turned by applying more power to either left or right propeller it is very basic to fly and was bought for a bit of fun at first but this had led me to want to learn how to fly a proper RC plane so I bought another glider that had a flap on the tail itself it turns left & right and flaps that go up & down on the end of the tail again but nothing on the wings themselves. I got told to put an elastic band over the canopy so the battery doesn't fall out but I wasn't experienced enough to fly this glider, it needed trimming & before I knew it the plane more or less nose dived into the ground & where the elastic band was it just cut through the foam like a knife through butter so it's in half now & next time I'll use sticky tape to keep the canopy on. I've bought some EPO foam glue so I'll glue it back together when I get around to it .

I've just bought off ebay for £28 an 8 channel receiver with a disc for the computer to load onto it & it enables you to practice to fly all kinds of planes, helicopters & drones so I'll practice with that (when it arrives) until I get to some sort of flying ability before I go out with my Volantex Mustang P51-D 750mm. Hopefully with its 3 modes of competence it comes with (beginner, mid & expert) & it's got 6 gyro axis (whatever that is) I should have half a chance of taking my plane back home in one piece & a nice big grin on my face.

Advert

Welcome.

You are just starting out on one of the widest hobbies going.

The simulator will help to get used to knowing which way the model is flying.

The best bit of advice that I can give you at this stage is to find your nearest club and go along and meet people and talk to them and ask questions.They might even have a club trainer to give dual control lessons.

Go to the BMFA website and see the club finder

One final piece of advice. It doesn't matter how long you have been flying or how good you are. You will always crash models. It may be pilot error, sheer stupidity or another cause.

It is disappointing, it is annoying, it is upsetting but it is part of modelling so pick up the pieces and either repair them or salvage the useful bits and build another.

But when you are flying there is nothing quite like it.

Edited By Peter Miller on 02/12/2019 08:41:21

Welcome from me too Darren.

Firstly may I endorse Peter's advice about joining a club. You'll get a lot of help on your journey as a model aeroplane pilot and perhaps even as model aeroplane builder as well and you'll be insured should your model scratch someone's car for example.

Secondly, as Peter said, we all crash. In my club we even have an annual prize for the pilot who has more crashes than anybody else. This year I won it but I think I had more flights than anybody else!

With experience you'll be able to work out why you crashed. As an example I was flying this biplane last week and misjudged my landing approach. Consequently the wheels touched the long grass and the starboard wing tip hit the ground breaking a few spars. For a modeller of my experience, this is not a difficult repair but next time I fly the model I will allow it to fly beyond me before settling the wheels onto the runway.

be2e sunday 9th april 2017 no 1.php.jpg

PS. If I'd have given the engine a burst of power it would have cleared the long grass and it would have settled onto the runway.

We all learn by our mistakes.

Edited By David Davis on 02/12/2019 11:30:54

Seems fairly forgiving for a low wing plane thanks to stabliser but I would still be tempted to go for Bixler for a beginner plane or perhaps your second one (high wing therefore very stable / not expensive - parts cheap / prop at the rear so very little breakages upon landing/ no landing gear so belly landing without worrying about breakages, good size so easy to see and orientate).

**LINK**

Re your mustang make sure you check the direction for your servos **LINK** . See the attached video at circa 7 mins.

Happy flying