Not a new newbie

Morgs

Hi all I'm Mark from Birmingham and this is my first ever post. I'm only a newbie from 1996 when I gave my hobby up when my son was born. I started aged 10 with my dad in 1976 as a member, on and off at the Sutton Park flying club West Midlands. Seems a lot more electric now but I'm sticking to nitro, the only thing that's puzzling me now is the batteries everything else seems pretty much the same. best place to ask a question about batteries.

Anyway love the site and I'm like a big kid now I'm back into the hobby I've loved and missed so much.yes

Advert

A welcome back into the hobby from me Mark. I am sure you will soon find lots of helpful advice and interesting stuff to amuse you on this forum. Have you rejoined a club yet and did you hang onto your old engines and radio when you last gave up? Will you be scratch building or going the RTF route by any chance? Share some pictures of your current project when you get a chance. I am sure you will soon be 'back in the saddle' so to speak.

Hi Mark

Regarding Batteries, for your average club sized model, NiMH have replaced NiCd which you may remember.. Still the same voltage - nominal 4.8v for a 4 cell pack. You can still use the same trickle chargers as well

Welcome back to the hobby/sport/pastime. Its come along way in the past 20 years.

Martyn

Welcome Mark - another vote for a 4 cell NiMH - ideally go for Eneloops as they have a very very slow self discharge which means that if you remember to re charge your battery when you get back from the field you don't need to charge your battery the night before you go flying ( fit 'em in your transmitter too - bit of a luxury but well worth the additional expense ).

If you look at a previous thread about receiver batteries for an I/C trainer there're several pages of discussion and disputation there for you to work your way through - however it's mostly in the infra red part of the spectrum ie "More Heat Than Light".

Thanks for the info chaps, will start to build when I'm up and running bought most things second hand at the moment due to cost even down to a Harman Rocket III very good condition with ASP 60 and servos also flight box. My first build was a free flight Vernon Vespa with a cox pee wee engine in 1978 when I was thirteen then went onto radio control into the eighties, mainly low wing aerobatics and bi planes. My last was early nineties the first gen acrowot I think, which you did have to build not ARTF as they are now but not to sure, long time ago now.