Oleo pin adaptor

Applewood

I'm going to be cutting down a pair of 6mm dia piano wire torsion landing gear to attach oleos to absorb some of landing bounce. Ideally I would go for the trailing link type to give a more scale appearance.

HK have a number of oleos at a reasonable price, however most seem out of stock at the moment. Most accept a 11mm or a 12mm pin and don't appear to be supplied with bushing / adaptor to fit a smaller pin.

I've got a pair of Robart 650s for another project and they include the bushing for different dia pins, it's a shame HD don't.

Is there a standard / best practice to overcome attaching 6mm pin to 11/12mm oleo? I've had a seach for collets, bushes, collars etc, but nothing is jumping out. I don't have access to a lathe to make my own.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:01:38:

I did the same job on a PT19

Using spacers from ebay, just search this on eBay

12mm 13mm 14mm 15mm Diameter Spacer Collar Bush 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 8mm Hole

Thanks Dennis, did you epoxy the spacer to the pin?

These are the oleo type I would prefer, **LINK** however they have 11mm pin

Am fortunate over the years to have a reasonable workshop with tools, taps and dies etc

I epoxy normal builds but not steel and aluminium

I used grub screws, if only that you can change your mind and also replace parts.

I set the length, chopping the piano wire leg to size

then added two more threaded holes through the oleos/ spacers to locate on flats on the piano wire

in my case, I would buy 12mm spacers to turn down to 11mm

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:29:45

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 09/01/2020 18:19:01:

The ones I've seen have a solid plug in the end. If you have access to a lathe you could drill them 6mm for the pin and then cross drill and tap for 4mm grub screws to hold them on.

So do the HK ones have a solid 11mm plug rather than tube out to accept a 11mm pin? The HK pictures don't show either way. I assumed these where like the robart's which have a shaft in which the pin locates.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:28:33:

Am fortunate over the years to have a reasonable workshop with tools, taps and dies etc

I epoxy normal builds but not steel and aluminium

I used grub screws, if only that you can change your mind and also replace parts.

I set the length, chopping the piano wire leg to size

then added two more threaded holes through the oleos/ spacers to locate on flats on the piano wire

in my case, I would buy 12mm spacers to turn down to 11mm

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:29:45

ok thanks Denis, unfortunately my workshop is a little light on the tooling front. HK do provide an Oleo with 6mm pin which is again out of stock, maybe I wait for that one.