South Yorkshire Model Supplies

Anyone know anything about the above company? A 60" Slingsby Firefly kit has come my way - looks to be from around the 1980s - and the only clue as to the manufacturer is in the build notes which mention South Yorkshire Model Supplies.

Edited By jonryan on 11/01/2020 16:18:03

Advert

I still have one of their building jigs from over thirty years ago, very robust and still in regular use. I also had their Slingsby Firefly that I built from the kit. Nice model but watch the weight especially at the back to avoid too much nose ballast  but use what's needed to put the CG 10 mm forward of the recommended setting for the first flights. Keep elevator movement to a minimum. Lost mine years ago after flicking out of a high loop and into a perfect true flat spin. Caught me out and couldn't recover. Not that much damage because of the quite slow impact speed. Repaired and sold on...... don't be put off though, I reckon it'd have been fine if a pound or so  lighter and with a more forward cg. Good luck.

SYMS went out of business years ago, unfortunately. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/01/2020 16:53:01