I learned from that.

Peter Miller

Before every flight, don't just waggle the sticks, check the ailerons - left is left, right is right, check the rudder ditto - then elevators, up is up and down is down. Then throttle kill and fail safe. Yes - I've been caught out - easily done if you're chatting to someone when you're setting up, especially with a new model. Try to retreat into your own little bubble when you're preparing to fly, and (apart from situational awareness) when your plane is in the air.

As I am getting older, I find I have to write a lot of stuff down to remember it.

I have a modified "S.W.E.E.T.S." card pegged on to my TX tray, which I carefully check prior take off, and we have a large "Safety Board", adjacent to the flight line with a short check list.

After a protracted lay off (now!), even more important.

Posted by Old Geezer on 04/03/2020 01:58:01:

Before every flight, don't just waggle the sticks, check the ailerons - left is left, right is right, check the rudder ditto - then elevators, up is up and down is down. Then throttle kill and fail safe. Yes - I've been caught out - easily done if you're chatting to someone when you're setting up, especially with a new model. Try to retreat into your own little bubble when you're preparing to fly, and (apart from situational awareness) when your plane is in the air.

Our Club Sec makes apoint of doing an independant check on control direction for new models.

No one objects.

IN the RAF work on an aircraft is checked by the tradesman doing the work (of course) and his supervisor but any work done on the control system is also checked by an independant supervisor.

Funny this topic should come up now. I had been checking some of my models over yesterday in anticipation of some better weather in the near future (ever the optomist). On checking the controls on my old hack I noticed that the ailerons were reversed. I dont recall touching this model since last year, so at some point I must have reversed them whilst fiddling with the transmitter. Now been through every model checking throws failsafes etc.I know that I would have checked it before flying but with modern trannys it shows how easy it is to slip up.

I was always told that anyone can make a mistake and that the man who never made a mistake never made anything.

We were also told that anypone can make a mistake but only a fool makes the same mistake twice.

Well, I guess that I would have to admit to being a fool a few times!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/03/2020 13:39:18