Multiprotocol module

I've always liked the idea of a multiprotocol module for my FrSky Txs but have never quite taken the plunge.

So just which one is the one to buy now?

I'd particularly like to have support for Hitec protocols.
Would I need to update the firmware?
Is this now possible through a USB socket from the off?
If not vis USB, then how?

I think I also read about some fine tuning being needed for some protocols?

Any recent experience would be really useful.

Oh PS : - What sort of range do they have. Primary use would be for indor models, but outdoors might be useful too.

Chris

Advert

I can't help with the range question Chris because mine is so new I haven't had chance to try it at the field yet, but....

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and went for THIS one, mainly because its the most recommended one and it easily connects to PC via USB port without having to do any work (others need a bit of soldering). Firmware was a doddle to update to latest version. It's internal memory allows ALL protocols to be installed at once. Setting (OpenTX) transmitter up to use the module is simplicity. Binding is a doddle - not had a single failure to bind first time yet. Range test is easy to do from OpenTX menu (but I've not done range test at field or checked out the actual full range yet). Highly recommended on experience so far.

I had an issue with mine getting lost in the post (once it reached the UK!!!), so I got a refund and bought mine from HERE. I paid a bit more for it, but it was with me the following day. Note that the one supplied is serial mode only and not the obsolete one with the dial and bind button shown in the photo. The serial one is the one you want for OpenTX.

I've got one of the IRX-4 Plus modules, but I think the Jumper one is essentially the same. There are (or were, when I got mine) two versions, with and without the rotary selector on the back. **LINK**

With the rotary selector, it can be used in any JR PPM capable transmitteras well as the FrSkys. Without it, you need a FrSky with a recent version of OpenTx, downloaded with the multi-module option checked. This option allows FrSky to talk to the module directly, without going through PPM, improving latency and allowing any telemetry to display on the FrSky (instead of just beeping warnings).

Mine updated OK over USB, but it seems a bit hit and miss whether they are supplied like that or not.

It certainly supports DSM-2 and DSM-X - the latter correctly, unlike the Orange module - so that it works with UMX models too. (With the Orange module, there's no throttle on UMX!)

Hitec is listed in the protocols list here: **LINK**

but I have no first hand experience of that.

I believe Mike B of this parish has more than a passing knowledge of the finer workings, so there should be plenty of help/advice available right here! laugh

The power output on mine is directly comparable to any other mainstream 2.4 GHz gear, so fine for outdoor use.

There's plenty of reading material around those links I've posted, but if you can already deal with OpenTx, you shouldn't have any major problems.

--

Pete

Cross posted with Gary!

Just to clarify - the one with the dial will work with both serial AND PPM. The one without will ONLY work with a serial capable Tx.

If you set the dial to "0", it becomes a serial device. For PPM, you use the dial to select the protocol you want. I have a couple of modular JR transmitters, so the dial version is more useful to me.

--

Pete

PS - to save a bit of work, HERE is the best starting point for reading up on all types of multiprotocol modules.

HERE is the simplest way of selecting and downloading the latest firmware. Jumper 4in1 is "module type" = STM32. "Radio Type" = OpenTX. You have option of choosing the channel order you want (I chose TAER to allow conversion from JR/Spektrum DSM2 without having to rewire every model). Select Telemetry Inverted for external module (like the Jumper) or non-inverted for internal modules. Say "No" to debug builds. This should filter your choice to leave the bin file you need to install.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I thought I'd post an update - with a question.

So, a jumper 4 in 1 was aquired. It had no controls on the back, just 2 LEDs and a USB socket. That's fine, I'm using it with OpenTx in serial mode.

My Horus X12 was already up to date at 2.3.5 so the options were available there.
The X12 screen showed me that the module came with 4 in 1 firmware 1.2.1.2.5 installed.

A quick test showed the unit bound fine to Spektrum receivers but one main use would be for Hitec equipped BNF indoor models and this wasn't working.

So a firmware update was required. Version 1.2.1.2.5 is too old to update from Tx.

The windows app "Flash-multi" was downloaded along with "multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin" and the upgrade went perfectly.

Now, using menu option Hitec-Minima the Ares Focker D-VII bound straight away and worked very nicely once I'd set the channel order to AETR.

I also bound an old Micro Stik using a protocol called FlyZone FZ410.

Next I found that there's a "FrSkyRx" option which can be used to receive from another Tx for training and I found the Specrum analyser. All very impressive.

So on to a problem that I have my own theory on.

The Focker, on Hitec and both FrSky D8 and D16 (EU) are now working to start with, after every switch on. But after 2 to 3 minutes the connection is lost and can not be made to work again without switching the Tx off for 5 minutes.

Spektrum continues to work as long as I leave it switched on.

Hitec & FrSky protocols use the CC2500 RF Module.
Spektrum uses the CYRF6936 RF Module.

As another test I've moved the module to an old Taranis X9D, fully upgraded that and I get exactly the same fault sysmptoms. Working for 2-3 mins then stops. Needs a few mins off, then it works again...

I've tried the frequency fine tune and that appears to be doing as expected - finding both ends where the link drops, then set the value to the middle of that range. But that's ony if I do it in the first 2-3 mins where things are working.

So what are your thoughts? Do they concurr with what I'm thinking? Or is there a fix that I'm completely missing?

Chris.

On the face of it, it looks like you have a faulty or misbehaving CC2500 RF Module in your 4 in 1. The fact that the Spektrum modules are working OK suggests that the processor, CYRF6936 RF Module and antenna switcher are working OK.

Just one thought though. The Spektrum does not use Telemetry. Do the others? Could it be that there is a problem with telemetry causing the RF module to be shut down after a couple of minutes for some reason? Beyond my knowledge I'm afraid. Maybe worth asking HERE or wait until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Another thing that might be worth trying is re-downloading and re-flashing in case you have a corrupt firmware. Perhaps even try a slightly older (stable) version of firmware in case its a new problem not reported yet.

I've not experienced the problem, so I hesitate to comment, but I think Gary is on the right track. There are four different RF chips in there, and what you describe sounds like one of the shutting down due to overheating.

Maybe Mike will be along in a while, as he has a fair bit of experience with these modules, I think.

--

Pete

I'd already tried a new download of the firmware.

I've now tried the previous version. All to no avail. OpenTx is now suggesting that it should be updated.

The FrSky stuff does have telemetry (with a link quality reading I'd not seen before) but the Focker doesn't. So I don't think we can blame telemetry.

An enquiry has gone to the supplier. We'll see how they respond.